What have your tortoises done to surprise you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
I am always fascinated when I can just sit and watch my herd of 5 Red-foot Tortoises. It seems like every time I watch them for a while, they will do something that just astounds me.

One big surprise was a few months ago in their summer pen when I found that they liked to climb around inside their brush pile. I had assumed they would just snuggle under it, but they often spent time up in the maze of branches- all except the youngest.

In the last couple months, I have been feeding the full leaves of turnip and other greens, thick stalk and all- and they have been going for the stalk right off! I woulda SWORN the stalk was too tough for the young'uns, but they chow on it right along with the big guys. You can hear the crunching from the other room. I figure they are going for the water and fiber in the stalks.

Also- I got a couple of 6" tall planters of assorted plants on clearance. I placed the planters in the habitat for color and humidity and figured the planters themselves would protect the plants- and they did for almost a week, then they were mowed clean down and I still don't know how.

So, what do your tortoises do that surprise you?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
RE: What has your tortoises done to surprise you?

Years ago when I moved into this house, I set all my potted plants up against the fence in the area where I put the Manouria tortoises, until I had time to put them where I wanted them.

Every morning I would go out and the pots would be tipped over. The plants were ok, but laying on their side.

Finally, one evening, I heard a thump and went over to look. Phae, my second largest female, was pushing over the pots, then sniffing all around under them, I presumed for slugs or bugs.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado

I had one today. I went to check on Taco, who was in her hide, and when I lifted the lid I saw that she had pushed her hay up into a mound just next to the door, and had perched herself right on top. It was as if she was on guard, ready to pounce on any intruder who came through the opening. The image of her leaping down to tackle an unwitting invader made me laugh! My killer tortoise. :D

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State

About a month ago, on my birthday, I went out to find a bunch of my tortoises washing and waxing my truck for me! What a great birthday suprise that was! It was some show watching those Marginateds trying to stand on their back legs while trying to balance on the Hermann's backs as they were washing the windows! And oh those crazy Russians waxing aways with the Turtle Wax! I didn't know that Ibera could shine tires so well. The Pancakes did a great job underneath the truck getting the mud off too!

True story.
(with my fingers crossed behind my back)

Happy Thanksgiving!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...

:D I guess I need to have a talk with my critters. Nobody ever washes the truck. :D

GBtortoises said:
About a month ago, on my birthday, I went out to find a bunch of my tortoises washing and waxing my truck for me! What a great birthday suprise that was! It was some show watching those Marginateds trying to stand on their back legs while trying to balance on the Hermann's backs as they were washing the windows! And oh those crazy Russians waxing aways with the Turtle Wax! I didn't know that Ibera could shine tires so well. The Pancakes did a great job underneath the truck getting the mud off too!

True story.
(with my fingers crossed behind my back)

Happy Thanksgiving!

M

Maggie Cummings

Bob is my 80 pound tortoise as you all know. He was weighed in at 65 pounds a few months ago and I figure he has reached the 80 pound stage now, anyhow one day in the middle of summer I went out my back door to look down into his pen just to check on him and I got a big surprise...he was on the deck! He knocked over a stack of cinder block (stacked 3 high) and squeezed thru the hole that made, but then he climbed up 7 stairs to my deck and was at my back door! He walked past all the good eating stuff, day lilies and strawberries, Rose of Sharon...I watch him carefully after that and I could see that his eyes were following me up the stairs and into the back door and so I figure that's what he was doing...he was looking for me the food goddess...he was going where he had seen me the food goddess go...too funny...

reptylefreek

5 Year Member
Seatac, Washington

I got quite a different surprise... I dont have kids so this made me jump. I picked up Marlin, my year old sully, and saw that he had dirt all over his bum. I went to go give him a quick wash and ran water down his bottom side. Must have stimulated him because he squirted pee and poop literally about four feet and it hit the shower wall. I was so shocked I just laughed. I showed my boyfriend and he didn't believe me.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska

These are great! Not bad for 'walking rocks' huh?

By the way- sorry for the grammatical error in the title!

Madortoise

5 Year Member
Just seeing Penelope on her hind legs like a horse determined to eat vetches or other plants surprised me! Those were definitely the kodak moments.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
emysemys said:
What error? LOL!:D

Dang, Yvonne! It took me a moment to figure out that you fixed it for me (thanks!) I was staring at it swearing to myself trying to remember what the error was- then I noticed the older heading were, er, I mean WAS indeed erroneous.

Thanks again! :D

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
My, my, yes...we must have subject-verb agreement, tsk, tsk!:rolleyes:

Wonderful stories, guys! I think GBtortoises must have been dreaming, or wishful thinking. Funny image, though!:D

That Bob...it's just hard for me to imagine the presence of such a large heavy creature, mute as tortoises are, pushing cement blocks aside and creeping up the steps to spy on Maggie and see if she was busy preparing his next meal or treat.:p

Do you ever take video of this guy? Is he noisy and lumbering or slow and deliberate? Taco is like a mini-"bull in the china shop" when she plows through the flower beds--you can see the stems and leaves parting as she blazes a trail. If Bob is like that, at 80 pounds, I am thinking you can always hear him coming!;)

Status
Not open for further replies.