What gives...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meka

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio, USA
just wondering, Do your tortoises have any "give" to their plastron? My redfoot is as solid as a rock! Her plastron has no give to it. But my sulcata's plastron has a slight give to his plastron. nothing extreme, and it's not "soft" you can just push in on it a little bit. There is another Sulcata I have been eyeing and his shell is like this as well. So is this normal and do you notice this on your torts?

Cam

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Minnesota
How old are your torts?

I haven't a clue but perhaps it's an age thing...

Our Greek seems to have a solid carapace for sure...I'll have to check out the plastron tomorrow.

Is there one area spcific you are noticing the "give"?

Meka

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ohio, USA
Simon is a rescue. He is about 3-4 years old. The little one that I am looking into getting is anywhere from 6 months to a year I believe. Just when I push in the middle of the plastron, it just has a little "give" to it. The carapace is rock solid though.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Okay I know nothing about Sulcatas, but these are my thoughts:

Your saying the middle of her plastron and I am thinking your talking about where her embryonic sack was attached. Sorta like our belly button. These take a longer time to close over and become firm. I would assume that many things could influence how long that takes like: species, environment, diet, rate of growth. Not being a Sulcata person I can't give you a guess on how long it should be.

How long ago did you get Simon? Do you happen to know what his life was like before you? Was he kept in unsanitary conditions? This is leading to wondering if he had the start of shell rot before you got him.

If it's just a little soft, I would just keep an eye on it. Making sure it doesn't get softer, start smelling in that area, getting pinky/red coloring, or shedding.

From what your saying I am going to bet it's just a normal thing for them. That with time and a wonderful environment like your providing it will get harder as they mature.

Meka

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ohio, USA
Thanks. My redfoot is a little older then the sulcatas, so that could explan why hers has firmed up. We got Simon back in April. He seems pretty healthy. His previous owners said thry had him for 7 years, but he looks to be about 3-4. They dumped him off at a pet store where he was in pine shavings and eating his own waste....It was pretty bad. He is pretty skitish and from that i assume he wasn't paid much attention to by his previous owners.

The one we are looking into adopting seems well cared for except for his diet which consists of friuts and such that are not good for him.

It is not just a soft spot, but "springy" as you say, Cam. I too would assume this is normal then. Just wanted to see what you all thought.

Morty

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
What would it indicated if the plastron were to be pinky/red down the middle? I noticed this on my Sulcata and am worried but can't seem to find out anything online.

Jacqui said:
Okay I know nothing about Sulcatas, but these are my thoughts:

Your saying the middle of her plastron and I am thinking your talking about where her embryonic sack was attached. Sorta like our belly button. These take a longer time to close over and become firm. I would assume that many things could influence how long that takes like: species, environment, diet, rate of growth. Not being a Sulcata person I can't give you a guess on how long it should be.

How long ago did you get Simon? Do you happen to know what his life was like before you? Was he kept in unsanitary conditions? This is leading to wondering if he had the start of shell rot before you got him.

If it's just a little soft, I would just keep an eye on it. Making sure it doesn't get softer, start smelling in that area, getting pinky/red coloring, or shedding.

From what your saying I am going to bet it's just a normal thing for them. That with time and a wonderful environment like your providing it will get harder as they mature.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Morty said:
What would it indicated if the plastron were to be pinky/red down the middle? I noticed this on my Sulcata and am worried but can't seem to find out anything online.

Sometimes Sulcata new growth has a pinkish cast to it and is nothing to be worried about. But septicemia also shows up as pink in the new growth areas. (septicemia = serious life-threatening infection throughout the body). If you are seeing pink in the new growth areas plus a soft plastron, I would find a good vet who is well-versed in tortoise health, and take your little one in asap.

Yvonne

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Is the top of your sulcatas shell the same feel as the bottom?? I have two young ones, the small one is springy on the bottom and the top (hes been to the vet). Both of mine came from bad diets, bad housing and such.
On to yours, do you give them calcium? If so how often? Do you give them other vitamins? What lighting and substrate do you use? What does there diet consist of?
I give my 6 month olds calcium everyday I use the Reptical calcium, I rotate between the D3 and w/o D3. They get the with D3 3 times a week and w/o the other 4 days a week. I rotate my herpavite and minerall 1 and they get that 3 to 4 times a week. I also soak them everyday and 4 times a week I put bird vitamins in the water. All of my little ones are housed on aspen, except when they are outside enjoying the sun. In doing this I notice there shells are getting harder and less springy.

Status
Not open for further replies.