What Gender?

Kwakin

Location (City and/or State)
California
Does anybody know any signs of telling the difference between a male or female? Because I just got a new baby Russian that we got 4 days ago and he/she is about 6-10 months old. Can anybody help me I want to use one gender instead of just the antecedent(name) we picked for them “Sonoma”

zovick

10 Year Member!
Does anybody know any signs of telling the difference between a male or female? Because I just got a new baby Russian that we got 4 days ago and he/she is about 6-10 months old. Can anybody help me I want to use one gender instead of just the antecedent(name) we picked for them “Sonoma”
If the tortoise is really that young, it is not possible to tell the sex yet. How do you know the age? If it was bought in a pet store, it is most likely much older than that. It is illegal for them to sell turtles and tortoises under 4" long, and a 6 to 10 month old would be much less than 4" in length. If you bought it from a breeder, then it might be possible for you to know the actual age. Where did you get it?

If you post some photos of the tortoise, it may be possible to determine the sex if it is indeed older than you think it is. Post pictures of the bottom shell and the tail.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
You can't tell for sure until they're at least a couple years old. Is it the tortoise in your profile picture? If it is that tortoise is an adult not a baby.

Clueless Tortoise

Raleigh, NC
I can't tell all that well, but from what I'm seeing, that is an adult, and looks wild caught based on his/her shell scuffs. Could we see pictures of the top of the shell (carapace) and the bottom part of the shell ( plastron ) as well as his/her tail.

Kwakin

California
If the tortoise is really that young, it is not possible to tell the sex yet. How do you know the age? If it was bought in a pet store, it is most likely much older than that. It is illegal for them to sell turtles and tortoises under 4" long, and a 6 to 10 month old would be much less than 4" in length. If you bought it from a breeder, then it might be possible for you to know the actual age. Where did you get it?

If you post some photos of the tortoise, it may be possible to determine the sex if it is indeed older than you think it is. Post pictures of the bottom shell and the tail.
I got them from a private breeder somewhere in Walnut Creek, CA. he/she was born winter 2019 and is about 3 and a half to 4 inches long, I will send pics

Kwakin

California
You can't tell for sure until they're at least a couple years old. Is it the tortoise in your profile picture? If it is that tortoise is an adult not a baby.
No, the tort in my profile pic is my deceased tort I had April 2020-September 16 2020, she was a year old

Kwakin

California
I can't tell all that well, but from what I'm seeing, that is an adult, and looks wild caught based on his/her shell scuffs. Could we see pictures of the top of the shell (carapace) and the bottom part of the shell ( plastron ) as well as his/her tail.
No that isn’t my new baby, that was my one year old that died sep 16 2020

Kwakin

California
Here are some pics. Sorry if it is bad quality

Attachments

• BD3BEA9F-9A6B-4D68-9675-84D51CEAF21B.jpeg
    BD3BEA9F-9A6B-4D68-9675-84D51CEAF21B.jpeg
    872.5 KB · Views: 65
  • 6E085699-AC75-427B-AA51-ECEFEB5590AD.jpeg
    6E085699-AC75-427B-AA51-ECEFEB5590AD.jpeg
    867 KB · Views: 58

Blastoise

5 Year Member
Looks like a female, but might be too young to tell for sure.

pcrealty

Wynnewood
My Eastern Herman is a female by the "V" shaped bottom. the male tortoise bottom is curvy.

Attachments

• male vs female tortoises.jpg
    male vs female tortoises.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 23
  • Eastern Hermann Bottom View.jpg
    Eastern Hermann Bottom View.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 26

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Here are some pics. Sorry if it is bad quality
There is no way to tell the sex of a baby. It will become more apparent as the tortoise grows and nears maturity. Split scutes are often caused by higher incubation temps, which usually cause females. So we can cause female here, but its just a guess.

Here is the current and correct care info for your species:

pcrealty

Wynnewood

I am not a tortoise sex expert, however following the bottom plastrom piece, is like a "V" and looks like a female. The plastrom is flat for a female to remain steady on the ground and a male's plastrom is concave to secure over a female. Attached picture is your tortoise picture cropped. I hope I did a good analysis.

Attachments

• determine sex (2).jpg
    determine sex (2).jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 13

Kwakin

California
From all the info gathered, I have decided it is a female, thank you for all of your help! And if you want to talk about the gender of your own tort, you can!

pcrealty

Wynnewood
From all the info gathered, I have decided it is a female, thank you for all of your help! And if you want to talk about the gender of your own tort, you can!
This Eastern Hermann was sold to me as a MALE by Tortoise Town for $10.00 extra (sex preference) , but a tortoise expert (Garden State Tortoise) confirmed it was 100% FEMALE. Do you see the upside down "V" picture= female?

Attachments

• Eastern Hermann Bottom View.jpg
    Eastern Hermann Bottom View.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 8
  • Eastern Hermann Bottom View (2).jpg
    Eastern Hermann Bottom View (2).jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 7

Kwakin

California
This Eastern Hermann was sold to me as a MALE by Tortoise Town for $10.00 extra (sex preference) , but a tortoise expert (Garden State Tortoise) confirmed it was 100% FEMALE. Do you see the upside down "V" picture= female?
I see it