What gender are my 2 russian torts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zacheyp

10 Year Member!
What gender are my 2 russian torts? Tortoise number 1 is aprox. 10 years old(about 6 inches). Tort number 2 is about 6 years old(about 5 inches) (i just got him) thanks!
(just so everybody knows the torts are being kept in seperate enclosures)

Attachments

• tortoise 1.jpg
    tortoise 1.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 70
  • tortoise 2.png
    tortoise 2.png
    251.4 KB · Views: 74

zacheyp

10 Year Member!
I dont know the answer to either of those questions sadly. I know i have had the male forever and he hasn't grown much. The female has not grown much in the 3 years that she lived with the previous owner according to the previous owner.

Although i'm guessing their wild caught

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Peoria, Arizona
If they are wildcaught then its impossible to know exactly how old they are. You can guess around there age but its just a guess. Wildcaught russians seem to not really grow too much once in captivity.

zacheyp

10 Year Member!
I'd like to breed them. Can i just let them go outside together and see what happens?

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
I would get your female comfortable by herself and save my money for at least two more females. I think russians are the most aggressive breeders that I have seen and if there is only one female she will be stressed out to the max.

zacheyp

10 Year Member!
I'm only going to introduce them for a brief period of time and not for a few weeks is that ok?

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
I wouldnt unless your male is a horn dog already. Once you put them together thats all he will ever think about even when by himself.

zacheyp

10 Year Member!
Out of curiosity what are the apoxomite success rates of russian tortoise breeding?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
First one male, second one I could not see the tail clearly, but it could be a small male. Russians are notoriously hard to breed, an outdoor enclosure and separation except during mating would probably improve your chances.

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Get multiple females and introduce your male to them. Keep him with them for a few days and give them two weeks apart and repeat.

zacheyp

10 Year Member!
once i see the male mount the female should i not reintroduce her 2 weeks later?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Mounting does not always mean male/female. Just FYI

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
With one female I would only keep them together for like a day every two weeks. Russian males are relentless and with only one female once he sees her he wont want to do anything else.

zacheyp

10 Year Member!
Ok so here is my plan, how does it sound?
Tomorrow i will feed my torts in the morning (probably some green leaf lettuce)
Then i will bathe them
then i will take them outside for a few hours, let them interact and see what happens...

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Most people quarantine new torts for around 6 months. I would wait at least a couple weeks before you introduce them to see if the new tort is healthy and doesnt get your male sick.

Status
Not open for further replies.