What foods should I start feeding my baby tortoise

mjk22

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
I have a 9 month old hermanns tortoise and I am wondering what kind of food is best. I already feed him spring mix, which is just romaine lettuce and spinach. I want to start feeding him Mazuri tortoise diet. Is this a good idea? I found this website called tortoisesupply.com and they have a low starch tortoise diet available. Should I get this?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome
Here is the most up to date caresheet you need

Weeds - like dandelions and ribwort and broadleaf, clover to name a few - are best
www.thetortoisetable.org.uk is a good guide to torts safe foods It's a UK website but will have many plants in common with the US
Pellets are fine but shouldn't be the main diet and while weeds are freely available make the most of them.
They should be from a safe chemical and fume free area - so not picked in areas that have had fertilisers or weedkillers used on them in the last couple of years or near traffic.

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
Hi and welcome
Here is the most up to date caresheet you need

Weeds - like dandelions and ribwort and broadleaf, clover to name a few - are best
www.thetortoisetable.org.uk is a good guide to torts safe foods It's a UK website but will have many plants in common with the US
Pellets are fine but shouldn't be the main diet and while weeds are freely available make the most of them.
They should be from a safe chemical and fume free area - so not picked in areas that have had fertilisers or weedkillers used on them in the last couple of years or near traffic.
Well said

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have a 9 month old hermanns tortoise and I am wondering what kind of food is best. I already feed him spring mix, which is just romaine lettuce and spinach. I want to start feeding him Mazuri tortoise diet. Is this a good idea? I found this website called tortoisesupply.com and they have a low starch tortoise diet available. Should I get this?
Yes on the LS for tortoisesupply, and get some of their "herbal hay" and Testudo seed mix too.

Then go to Kapidolofarms.com and pick a few of the dried leaf offerings to mix into the grocery store greens.

Like Lyn said. Weeds and leaves are best. I only use grocery store foods when I can't find anything else.