What enclosure should I get?

Brian Nicoleau

Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
If there's a Lowe's, Home Depot, or even a Walmart nearby (or other places that carry similar items), you should be able to find a big plastic storage bin, probably 50 gallons or more capacity, in their storage section (aisle).

You will need to modify the lid. Make the hole for the ceramic heat emitter (CHE) larger than the CHE fixture. You can line the opening for the CHE in the lid with aluminum foil (tin foil) to help protect it from getting melted.

You are going to have to find a way to keep the CHE off of the plastic itself. Some people make their own stands to hang lights from, out of materials they get at a hardware store. However, If you can purchase it, the Zoo Med Reptile Light Stand (or Lamp Stand, different term, same thing) is easy to use and adjustable. I use the Large size on my indoor enclosures for bearded dragons and some turtles. Shop around, you should be able to find it online for $20 or a little more.
well then where do i put my uv light because i cant put it inside because i dont want to blind my tortoise

Brian Nicoleau

Massachusetts
Lmao, is just a child try to understand. Kids are stubborn. I remember when I first joined I was just like That.
i mean he says im bsing about the tortoise i had in st barth but i did have one i was born in st martin so like my Dad had a friend named freddy he had like a **** home and payed huge rent for the shittest home ever like legit it was all open he was mentally braindead for renting that house but yeah behind the house it had like a ton of tortoises i went there and like searched around it and then i spotted a like double the size of my tortoise but like i had him he pooped i didnt see him pee much and it wasl all good i took the tortoise everywhere because i didnt understand tortoises much at the time and i didnt know they were like solitary animals that they prefer being alone and i took it to the beach and everywhere and i put it in a cardboard box but i had to let it go because i couldnt put it in a plane apparently plus i bet it would have died if i took it so rip... i had no idea what gender or where it is but i think its healthy and living

Brian Nicoleau

Massachusetts
i understand if i cant blind my tortoise and ill just put it inside of the enclosure hopefully tomorrow i can buy another box for my tortoise

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Alief
i mean he says im bsing about the tortoise i had in st barth but i did have one i was born in st martin so like my Dad had a friend named freddy he had like a **** home and payed huge rent for the shittest home ever like legit it was all open he was mentally braindead for renting that house but yeah behind the house it had like a ton of tortoises i went there and like searched around it and then i spotted a like double the size of my tortoise but like i had him he pooped i didnt see him pee much and it wasl all good i took the tortoise everywhere because i didnt understand tortoises much at the time and i didnt know they were like solitary animals that they prefer being alone and i took it to the beach and everywhere and i put it in a cardboard box but i had to let it go because i couldnt put it in a plane apparently plus i bet it would have died if i took it so rip... i had no idea what gender or where it is but i think its healthy and living
You just don’t understand the matter and it seems like neither your parents do. You’ll have to rehome the tortoise if you want what’s best.

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
Here's where you end up doing a lot of reading on the Forum, looking for answers like how to mount a CHE and other types of lights in a closed chamber. Go to the search function and try searching for "mount CHE" (without the quotation marks). That will give you some good ideas to start.

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
Worry about the temperatures first. Warmth is important, but we have heard of a number of hatchlings that died from being too hot for too long, and for a hatchling, that may not be very long. (Don't cook your tortoise.)long

Reptiles can go for a while without UVB. That's how they're shipped. A few days or longer without UVB isn't going to be the end of the world. Temperatures first, and make sure you're soaking your hatchling daily. Keep in mind, you have to be on duty the entire time as lifeguard.

Brian Nicoleau

Massachusetts
Worry about the temperatures first. Warmth is important, but we have heard of a number of hatchlings that died from being too hot for too long, and for a hatchling, that may not be very long. (Don't cook your tortoise.)long

Reptiles can go for a while without UVB. That's how they're shipped. A few days or longer without UVB isn't going to be the end of the world. Temperatures first, and make sure you're soaking your hatchling daily. Keep in mind, you have to be on duty the entire time as lifeguard.
yeah i just do it at the sink and just like put water over its shell and watering it etc i make sure its not too deep but she always tries to escape XD

Brian Nicoleau

Massachusetts
Here's where you end up doing a lot of reading on the Forum, looking for answers like how to mount a CHE and other types of lights in a closed chamber. Go to the search function and try searching for "mount CHE" (without the quotation marks). That will give you some good ideas to start.
also im buying something in home depot which was reccomended to me to measure humidity and heat

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
Make sure you spend time in the Species Specific part of the Forum. Under the South American Species, you will find the section on Redfoot and Yellowfoot tortoises.

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
well then where do i put my uv light because i cant put it inside because i dont want to blind my tortoise
At this rate, your going to burn the house down and char the tortoise so you won’t have to worry about it.. It doesn’t sound like your parents are willing to help you or that you can help your self so my advice would be to find the tortoise another home... I mean that in the nicest of ways. If you really don’t want to do that, then read the care sheets and make some changes ASAP...

Brian Nicoleau

Massachusetts
At this rate, your going to burn the house down and char the tortoise so you won’t have to worry about it.. It doesn’t sound like your parents are willing to help you or that you can help your self so my advice would be to find the tortoise another home... I mean that in the nicest of ways. If you really don’t want to do that, then read the care sheets and make some changes ASAP...
lol im not gonna burn my house down plus im just asking as much as i can so i can learn more so i can give my tortoise what it needs

Brian Nicoleau

Massachusetts
OK. this whole thread is getting severely hard to read and accept. I don't believe it for a second
should i make another one? also i was talking about the tortoise i had in st barth thats what i was talking about....

i came to this forum and now i know more

Brian Nicoleau

Massachusetts
all i only need is a new box and just looking at temperatures and its all good its not like anything crazy is happening im just trying to ask you guys to know what i should do and not to do

Jdaniel

Mobile, Alabama
Ok so can you guys recommend me an box to I can put my tortoise in because legit my ceramic heater heater the plastic and made a hole through it this next one I’ll just make a hole to put the ceramic heater
Wow.
Yeah, please keep heat sources from contacting paper, wood and plastic.
Don't want a tragic accident.