What do you think? (inactive)

Bosh29

Location (City and/or State)
Devon
I think it could be your temps, as Ben said, you need to bump up your basking spot to around 35-37 also an ambient around 24/25 would also help. Plenty of hiding places, real or fake plants are fine, I use a combination of both.
Right so temp is a game changer hopfully. What wattage bulb should I concider? E27 fitting.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I think the temps may need adjusting but the floor is also the coldest part of the house as well as full other other hazards, so they shouldn't be wandering around out of their warm enclosure.
Also torts shouldn't be kept in pairs as they are territorial and don't like company or competition - they like their own space and although your table is very nice I'm afraid it only looks big enough for one baby tort.
One of your torts will become dominant and bully the other one and I think that's already happening in your first picture.
Bullying takes many forms such as following, staring, nudging (often mistaken for 'cuddling' which torts don't do) lying on the food etc, all are ways in which one tort is warning off the other. You may not even realise it's happening until eventually the bullying becomes more physical and the one will barge the other and make the shell bleed or start biting and you will have a very expensive vet bill.
They could both be very stressed out by the presence of each other and the one on the receiving end could have a pretty miserable and short life -stress alone can make torts ill.
Do a search and read some of the threads about injured torts who started off in pairs, from people who have learned the hard way - the pictures are very sad.
I think they will both relax and liven up more if you do the sensible thing and separate them asap!

Bosh29

Devon
I have taken all your advice and I have made a little house for them. It's a butter pot with a hole. Also a cave out of wood. They are now inside sleeping in separate rooms. Thankyou for all of your advice. 1557245398502.jpeg

ScienceGeek

England
Hi,

You might want to deepen your substrate so they can dig down. My little Hermann likes to dig down at night, which is what they would naturally do in the wild.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
I’m not sure if anyone’s mentioned this yet, but you need a change of substrate. The substrate you’re using now is too dry, and the white bits pose as an impaction risk. It should be changed to coconut coir, cypress mulch, or fine grade orchid bark.

Please be sure you separate these two for the reasons stated above. Tortoises do not do well in pairs, and the fact that one is smaller than the other likely means that the bullying is already occurring.

ScienceGeek

England
Hi again,

I agree about the substrate. My set up was similar to yours when I got my little one last year, because I went to the pet shop - what a mistake. After a lot of research and reading what was on this forum and looking at other people’s set ups, I changed to a mixture of topsoil, coconut coir and orchid bark. I planted a Boston fern and spider plant and mounded up the soil in some places so he has to climb - it makes it more interesting (and a bit funny to watch his little legs waving as he’s scrambling over obstacles). Amazon is good for coconut coir, and you can get everything else from a garden centre. Anyway, the point is, you’re not on your own with feeling your way on this stuff. There’s loads of advice on here to follow which is great. Good luck

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
I have taken all your advice and I have made a little house for them. It's a butter pot with a hole. Also a cave out of wood. They are now inside sleeping in separate rooms. Thankyou for all of your advice. View attachment 271598
Hi, I was just looking at your substrate again, what are those white things? I would take them completely out, as your babies will more than likely eat them and that is not healthy or safe for them. If they are what I think they are then they will cause impaction in your babies guts which can lead to death.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
They don't just need separate hides - they need separate tables/vivs. They will both be safer and happier.
The one on the receiving end of the bullying is probably having a pretty miserable life and, stress can make him ill; when it gets really aggressive it could be fatal.
Have you seen the thread about one tort biting the head off another recently, or the threads where barging has damaged the shell and made it bleed - there's lots more examples if you do a search.
Please don't wait until it reaches the physical stage and separate asap.