What do you tell people when they give you crap for having a pet tortoise???

Status
Not open for further replies.

UMDRunner

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Duluth, MN
My tortoise is sweet, all of my roomates love it, but when I tell other people about it, they always respond with something like "Why do you have a tortoise? what can you do with it even?"

I think it cool just to watch them grow, dig around and eat food. Plus it's super cool that it should out live me haha.

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Hmmm no one has ever given me hell about having tortoises!

Just tell them, "You'd be surprised at all the things a tortoise can do!"

And if they ask "What CAN they do?"

Respond with, "Eating from my hand, scaling walls, hang gliding, magic tricks, motorcross racing..."

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
LMAO! Kelly - you are too funny!

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
They don't make NOISE.. they don't QUESTION me..
GRIN.gif
!!!

Terry

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Dude, REALLY! You could tell them what they DON'T do! They don't rip up the furniture, they don't talk back or cuss, they don't puke on my bed (cats) or pee under the table (dogs) or pee on the wall next to the toilet (boys). They don't demand lots of material things, don't steal the remote control, and NEVER play their music too loud!

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Kelly you are going to make me pee! LOL

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
I've had a few ask that same question. I just tell them that like any pet they have their own personality and that they do some amazing things and it is quite obvious that they know nothing about tortoises to make a statement like that. Have they ever had a 500 lbs or 100lbs or even a 2 lbs tortoise nudge them or come running across, Yes they run, the yard to greet you and have you scratch their shell or rub their head. Have they ever looked a tort in the eyes when a tort was sick and see that they understand you are doing everything you can to take care of them and help them. Have they ever had a tort nibble on their toe, No not bite, nibble or heard the sound they make when they breed? I say then obviously they don’t know much about torts and maybe just maybe you may be the one to teach them something about them.

And if that doesn't work then you can respond with Kellys’ response, cause I have fed mine from my hand, watched them scale walls and rock climb as well as do a double summersault in three feet of air. Not to mention disappearing tricks and escapist like Houdini. Or you could just ignore their crap (as you put it) and just tell them its your pet not theirs and you love it.

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I agree with everyone above, My father calls it my science project, my mom likes them, and my husband is patiently waiting for spring to come. But I say they are the best pets!! They don't bark, or wake you up in the middle of the night, don't chew up everything in sight, or pee all over the place!! To me I think they are the best animal to have and anyone that thinks otherwise can just stay away. Although most responses I get are they are so cool!! granted most of the time they are looking at the huge tank of rescued RES in my living room. But I prefer my tortoises and the great personalities they bring.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Ive always liked them, but now that Im getting older and moving slower....the livestock is harder to deal with. So now I have slow moving 'cows' with shells.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
In todays world of unimagable violence and craziness, it is nice to have contact and a relationship with a gentle, unassuming, and harmless creature. I can look at them as an example of how to maybe go through life.

Chucky

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
S. Oregon
Just as Laura, at my age they are the only things I can keep up with. Also, they don't ask stupid questions like why I like something :D

UMDRunner

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Duluth, MN
Tortoises are pretty much perfect... the only thing I wish they could do is fetch my mail haha!

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Itort said:
In todays world of unimagable violence and craziness, it is nice to have contact and a relationship with a gentle, unassuming, and harmless creature. I can look at them as an example of how to maybe go through life.

AMEN!!! Larry. ( Itort )

Ya know.. they outlive us.. make babies until they die.. and who knows how long they have been around and doing fine until man decided to help them. And they will never bite us on purpose.

I often wonder why I was chosen [ in some small way ] to propagate those that I have. To feel that tiny creature "squirm" in the egg.

What a face huh?

LookHERE.jpg

We are blessed...

Terry

UMDRunner

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Duluth, MN
It is pretty cool how they never try to harm us, Tank has bit me before, but only because I wanted to see how hard he could chomp so I stuck my finger in his mouth haha... it's pretty solid, but nothing too bad

barbie69

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ohio
No one except my ex asks me questions like that...and I don't really have to answer him, hence the EX. LOL
I love all my creatures but I think I love my torts and puppies the most....if I had to choose:rolleyes:, which I do not thankfully.
My mom thinks my little zoo is crazy but of all my pets she thinks the torts are the coolest. I think they have sweet personalities and I love just sitting and watching them eat, dig and grow.:D

UMDRunner

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Duluth, MN
That is a really sweet close-up picture of your redfoot

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
My neighbors are actually affraid of my tortoises... curious.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
-EJ said:

And I thought my "good ole boys club" here were the only ones who thought that way...lol. The three neighbors I had were sweet gentlemen, but they seriously thought my torts were dangerous for the kids to be around. I think it was based upon thinking a large shelled animal must be a snapper and by just being snappers they would be dangerous. They never did come to think Elmer the DT was safe.

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
Jacqui said:
-EJ said:

And I thought my "good ole boys club" here were the only ones who thought that way...lol. The three neighbors I had were sweet gentlemen, but they seriously thought my torts were dangerous for the kids to be around. I think it was based upon thinking a large shelled animal must be a snapper and by just being snappers they would be dangerous. They never did come to think Elmer the DT was safe.

Rednecks... I'm still learning.

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
I just end up explaining how AWESOME tortoises are. Then I show them my DT hatchlings and they become enlightened. Then I tell them about this site so they can learn more. :) :) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.