What do you see?

Status
Not open for further replies.

richalisoviejo

5 Year Member
When you look at the world? I see, just behind a slightly luminous curtain, a brutal, dangerous, treacherous place where one slip will, in the blink of an eye, cause you to lose your footing and slide from any heights you've achieved to the bottom of the abyss. A place where one must constantly be on the lookout for the betrayal, the accident, the disaster beyond one's control.

Sometimes, when I am riding my bike or surfing on the water, lost in thought and performance, or enjoying time with my friends and family the curtain drops and I see the world as a beautiful and wonderous place. It's those moments that will get me through the rest of my life.

I think life is a series of many bad things punctuated by just enough wonderful things to keep the carrot in front of the mule. That just goes to show the power of the good in life I guess. Even in small doses it keeps you going.

I'm still glad to be here.

How do you view the world?

Now excuse me while a take a nap before my date tonight. :shy:

terryo

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Staten Island, New York
Gee Rich, you are so deep lately. I see "life" as stepping stones .....you might slip and fall, but the water is shallow and you can get up and continue on your way.....to the other side.
I see the "world" as a scary, cold, unpredictable, dark and lonely place...at night...I hate night and I hate the dark. In the day I see the world differently...light, colorful, adventurous, interesting, sometimes fun. That is why I stay up as long as I can and only go to bed for a few hours. I hate night.

Weloveourtortoise

5 Year Member
Gardner, MA
Very deep, interesting topic. It depends. You can't have light without the dark. You don't have beauty with out the ugly. There is no good without evil. Ying and Yang. I always try to see the good but sometimes get overwhelmed with the bad. I think at the end there will be a cosmic balancing of the scales. At least that is what I hope and that hope keeps me going when I want to give up. When all I see is the evil that one inflicts on another, I remember the kindness, love and peace that my friends and loved ones extend to me and mine.
-Bon

richalisoviejo

5 Year Member
terryo said:
Gee Rich, you are so deep lately. I see "life" as stepping stones .....you might slip and fall, but the water is shallow and you can get up and continue on your way.....to the other side.
I see the "world" as a scary, cold, unpredictable, dark and lonely place...at night...I hate night and I hate the dark. In the day I see the world differently...light, colorful, adventurous, interesting, sometimes fun. That is why I stay up as long as I can and only go to bed for a few hours. I hate night.

Hi Terry!:)

Just woke up from my nap.

After getting my law degree I studied Philosophy at UC Irvine. To me I feel at times the two go hand in hand. But if it gets too deep I’ll pass out the boots LOL. :D

Weloveourtortoise said:
Very deep, interesting topic. It depends. You can't have light without the dark. You don't have beauty with out the ugly. There is no good without evil. Ying and Yang. I always try to see the good but sometimes get overwhelmed with the bad. I think at the end there will be a cosmic balancing of the scales. At least that is what I hope and that hope keeps me going when I want to give up. When all I see is the evil that one inflicts on another, I remember the kindness, love and peace that my friends and loved ones extend to me and mine.
-Bon

Very nice Bon, :cool:

Nice outlook on life.

BigBiscuit said:

I'm ususally one for hymns but that was appropriate for the thread. :cool:

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Really interesting thread Rich,
I see life as you guys do.
I think life can be really hard, it is really not easy sometimes, but the happy moments and happy things make me continue and they help me to stay positive.

S

stells

This may seem selfish... i live in my own bubble... whatever doesn't directly affect me... doesn't get through... coping mechanism maybe???

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm sorry, but I just don't see it that way. I'm a glass half full sort of person. Its a great place to be! I love my life and the world around me. I'm cautious, but I don't live in fear of the things that you see in the world. However, I'm pretty much a recluse, only going out to shop or eat, so I don't have many opportunities to "lose my footing in this treacherous place."

Yvonne

Status
Not open for further replies.