What do you like about tortoises?

Sandy Martinez

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Antonio
I've loved them all my life and finally now own one. Had stuffed tortoise toys as a child, then figurines...family, coworkers, friends knew this and I ended up with a collection of tortoise everything...figurines, jewelry...you name it, if it was a tortoise they saw, I would come to mind and it was gifted. :) They're just so darn cute and so calming to me...love to watch him walk around the yard or just watch him in his enclosure being so content and walking up when he hears by voice when its meal time. Funny, I'm the only one in my family who feels this way about them o_O
So interesting reading everyones responses to this!

Sara G.

Long Island, New York
They're like very small dinosaurs, what's not to love about them?!
Plus I love the way they stomp all over, and their tongues are so cute!
I read in a book on the exotic pet trade that the smugglers didn't care about the tortoises/turtles they smuggled until they saw the little tongue. It some how humanized the torts for them and it changed how they looked at the pet trade. And I'd have to say I agree, seeing their little tongue is an eye opener for quite a few people. It's as if people don't expect torts to have tongues! :rolleyes:

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
They're like very small dinosaurs, what's not to love about them?!
Plus I love the way they stomp all over, and their tongues are so cute!
I read in a book on the exotic pet trade that the smugglers didn't care about the tortoises/turtles they smuggled until they saw the little tongue. It some how humanized the torts for them and it changed how they looked at the pet trade. And I'd have to say I agree, seeing their little tongue is an eye opener for quite a few people. It's as if people don't expect torts to have tongues! :rolleyes:
I know! right?! But I myself was shocked about that little tongue!!! And no idea what I was expecting! "Snake tongue"???? Or one like frogs' or chameleons'?

Rue

Canada
I agree with everyone too...

It's the mini-dinosaur connection, the 'wise' look in their eyes, the confidence they seem to have (despite the fact that they are rather helpless), their obvious joy in eating - with that adorable tongue. I love the whole 'Zen Tortoise' thing they have going...they are not rushing...and it's very relaxing watching them not rush.

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
They do remind us of the dinosaurs. Bet, I find torts and turtles very relaxing to watch. The wisdom they seem to have when they look at you. I can see the gears turning as if they are talking to you. Well, they are, we just have to understand them. But, I love all animals no matter what they are.

It's hard to put into words, but they are just so interesting. Their tough scales and sweet docile behavior, not wanting to hurt a soul. They reallly are relaxing to watch, with their slow, calm movements.