What do you like about tortoises?

yillt

Before anyone asks, yes, I do Love my tortoise and this post has nothing to do with that. But I've been wondering what are the qualitys we all love so much in our tortoises. I mean, admit it, they aren't soft and cuddly, they don't play with you, you can't buy them 'toys' as such and they don't learn tricks. I do adore my tortoise and the animal in general but I can't pinpoint why. Maybe it's their wise eyes or little stubby legs. Maybe it's just their long lifespan or quiet companionship. I've had rats, hamsters, fish, rabbits, a cat but somehow, a tortoise wins for me. And I'm not even sure why.cEither way, I would like to find out why YOU love your tortoise.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
First, because I have always wanted one, for as long as I can remember. Second, because they have been around for sooooo many years, it amazes me what they have survived? Third, because they require no attention (not talking about the care of them)but welcomes or tolerates it if I want to give it to them. I have had many, many animals, all much higher maintenance and besides my lizards, tortoises are probably the least needy and least amount of work. I like having a low maintenance, in my opinion, animal for a change, that doesn't have to have all my attention. Oh and they are just too darn cute too.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I Love watching them and getting to know them. They are so timeless and calming. I enjoy the challenge of building suitable habitats, and tweaking things to get it just right. Building enclosures and planting enclosures is so much fun. And they grow so fast you get to redecorate all the time.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
+1 on all the above. I just love them, what has caught my attention about these animals is the amount of stuff you learn, its endless, when you research into each aspect of your torts requirements you end up learning so much. I was reading up on the light spectrum the other day, in particular the infrared spectrum. Well I ended up reading about the Saturn ring by the time I had done, still baffled. lol. I know more about biology than I ever did at school. Plants, I never thought I'd be interested in plants, I am now. Geography, my worst subject at school, not now.
Also what is really intriguing, there is still a lot not known about tortoises. Its a big jigsaw puzzle that is not finished yet.

Also, I just love to sit down after work and just watch my tortoise, its piece out time for me.

Razan

5 Year Member
Riverside, CA
I love my tortoise. I thought THIS pet will be slow and easy to keep up with. Did not know tortoises could actually be fast. I love how he demands to eatrightnow while we try to prepare his hay salad. I love the unexpectedly curious guy bulldozing into anything we try to work on in his yard.

054.JPG

OK, I see the hay. Now where is the good stuff ? Add mulberry leaves and greens PRONTO !

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I agree with Big Charlie here: torts are something very different, very different from other animals.:)

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I became a tort owner by accident - never ever wanted a tort - could not see the point of them.
BUT
then Lola came into my life and I started learning and finding out all about them and I was hooked. I still don't know why really.
He is fascinating and cute and funny and I can watch him for hours. You have no choice but to stop and let the days worries drain away. A great way to de stress yourself!!

spud's_mum

United Kingdom
I bought Spud because I love reptiles.
I looked at many reptiles but I couldn't stand the mealworms/crickets etc that you had to feed them and snakes don't really interact much.
After seeing my friends tortoise just wanted around without a care and eating fresh leaves I just loved how chilled out they are and fell in love :p

DutchieAmanda

5 Year Member
Netherlands
I Love watching them and getting to know them. They are so timeless and calming. I enjoy the challenge of building suitable habitats, and tweaking things to get it just right. Building enclosures and planting enclosures is so much fun. And they grow so fast you get to redecorate all the time.

Exactly what I love about Pixel!

M

Maggie Cummings

I'm not really interested in them. Just make'em better when they are sick