10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
What does everyone feed their radiata?

I am just trying to put some life into the radiata thread.:D

Dud

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
i give hibiscus as staple... (leaf and flower).. truumpet flower also.. never feed em fruits..

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
I do mullberry leaves, dandelion, hibiscus, clover and mazuri once every other week.

chelonologist

10 Year Member!
Redlands, California
Mine LOVES dandelion leaves, but also takes endive and escarole. He goes nuts for Opuntia cactus and strawberries, too.

Barb92083

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I feed mine lots of dandilion greens and anything else thats dark green mazuri,rapashy vit.mix for the greens whatever they are.when they are out the eat grass weeds and flowers.

gummybearpoop

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I have been feeding mine Bermuda grass, Dandelion, Mulberry leaves, Hibiscus leaves/flowers, Opuntia Cacti, Organic Spring Mix, Romaine, Radish Greens, Zucchini, Yellow Squash, Carrots, Endive, Escarole, Mazuri Tortoise Diet, green beans, and mushrooms.

Though, I feed the squash, carrots, zucchini, green beans, mushrooms, and Mazuri in moderation.

RichardS

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Charleston, SC
In the winter, I pretty much stick to boxed spring mix. Summer gets a little more interesting, although gummybear, your last list covered every conceivable option!

gummybearpoop

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Actually, I will add to that list: fresh alfalfa, nitro persian clover, red clover, plantain, fig leaves, wheat grass, blue grass, rye grass, turnip greens, crimson clover, chia, nasturtium, poppy flowers, blue hibiscus flower, honesuckle flowers, some kind of pink australian flower, fescue, orchard grass, oat grass, and timothy grass.
Also, some native weeds that grow in my backyard.

I try to do a good variety. When I don't have much time, I usually just cut up some spring mix or soak up some mazuri tortoise diet for them.

RichardS

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Charleston, SC
gummybearpoop said:
When I don't have much time, I usually just cut up some spring mix or soak up some mazuri tortoise diet for them.

What are your thoughts on Mazuri? Is it still considered controversial? I could never get anything to eat it without great effort.

gummybearpoop

10 Year Member!
Arizona
RichardS said:
gummybearpoop said:
When I don't have much time, I usually just cut up some spring mix or soak up some mazuri tortoise diet for them.

What are your thoughts on Mazuri? Is it still considered controversial? I could never get anything to eat it without great effort.

I think mazuri is a great supplement. EJ has great success using it as the primary diet. Everyone has their own methods. I like to use it as a supplement to make sure the tortoises are getting necessary nutrients, plus for variety sake. I prefer a good variety of fresh organic greens along with mazuri

Initially, some tortoises show no interest in it....once a tortoise is curious enough to take a nibble....they usually like it a lot. But, this is not always the case. If you are having trouble....mix a little bit of mazuri with some of their favorite foods.

Project Reef

5 Year Member
How do you guys feel about having an alfalfa garden 'patch' in the radiata's enclosure? Is it harmful in anyway? I'm assuming if he nibbled on the seeds it wouldn't be a good thing but I'm not sure...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi "Project Reef":

1123149l3venpiol1.gif
to the forum!!

I don't know anything about the Radiata tortoise, however, alfalfa is frowned upon when feeding other types of tortoise. It contains the wrong balance of phosphorous/calcium and has too much protein. It can be harmful to their kidneys.

Status
Not open for further replies.