What do I need to know at this point?

BowDownBowser

Location (City and/or State)
Jacksonville, Florida
I've been on and off of TF a lot in the past year and half. Being in the military it's hard to keep up with everything all of the time, but now being back and things slowing down I can focus more on caring for my tortoise. I recently posted about building a night box for my tortoise with the temperatures here in NE Florida starting to fall slowly. I plan on completing that in the very near future and will update when I do. Now I just want to check in with all of you experts to make sure I am still on the right track. My tortoise is 1 year and 10 months old. She is 6 1/4" SCL, but I can't seem to find my scale to weigh her. (I am calling "Her" her because a vet my wife works with who used to be an exotic vet claims that she is a female. I plan on posting some pics in the next day or so to get some other opinions) She is currently living outside in her own section of our back yard. She eat's Kale, Dandelion, Cactus, Sulcata blend grass, and now and then I can get her to eat Bermuda and Orchard grass hay. I supplement her food 1-2 times a week with Miner-All. Like I said earlier I plan on having her outside during the winter with a heated night box, but I do also have an interior set up to move her to if the weather gets too severe. I am still soaking her, but generally only 1-2 times a week now as opposed to every day or two when she was less than 4 inches SCL. Just wondering if anyone see's any flaws in how I am raising her or has any suggestions?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It all sounds good to me. People that are used to seeing male tortoises with a indented plastron quite frequently mid-identify a very young male with a flat plastron, but having said that, it's still a bit early to say for sure what sex yours is.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Still too small to know for sure, however, my guess is male. The cloaca is away from the body and the tips of the anal scutes are starting to turn outward. But the gular is small (female) and the tail is small (female). Most baby tortoises look female until they start reaching the age of sexual maturity. Yours has a couple more years to grow.