What causes this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SE Michigan
Was just kind of browsing and came across this tortoise. His shell is definitely deformed. But is it MBD? None of the scutes seem to be sunken in like most cases of MBD. But the scutes are not lined up at all.

Of course he is heavily pyramided. I just haven't seen many tortoises with such a weird scute formation.

They kind of sway left and right.

Edit: Oops forgot the link :p - http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=228907

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Its just pyramiding. My little 5 year old looks like that too. Too dry conditions (in my case)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My guess would be lack of sun and poor diet too. Although I know Yvonne's had plenty of sun and a good diet. So maybe it is just really severe pyramiding.

Words cannot express how happy I am that we will all be seeing less and less of that, now that we know the "secret".

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
It is hard to say wether its due to lack of sun and calcuim, or wether its from over feeding and the growth is too rapid, or just to much of the wrong food.. I would not buy such an animal as you cannot see what damage there is on the inside.

I have at work two red foots and they have a slight pyramid that was due to lack od calcuim,sunlight and dry conditions. Since they have been with me the pyramiding has not worsened as they are fed on a proper diet and have access to calcuim and uva/b..

Status
Not open for further replies.