What can I do to help him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tandksmommy

5 Year Member
Hi everyone!

I'm new here and also new to the tortoise world, though I have read up and done my research. A woman was getting rid of a Hingeback and her tank, so I decided I was going go for it.

The tank has substrate, an aquarium light, and a water dish/watering area. That's it.

I've looked online and it seems that his shell is sunken-in, in some areas which tells me that he's been neglected. She said he's about 2 years old. She gave me a container of "bearded dragon food" and said that he eats it so she was giving it to him. My first thought was "Of course he's eating it, he has to eat something or he'll die!" Please tell me if I'm wrong, but I don't think lizards and tortoises eat the same kind of pellet food.

What can I do to help get him back into shape? I need to get him a spotlight so he can bask and a humidity gauge since that's not in there either. Any suggestions on other things I can do? Will his shell permanently be all messed up because of the way he was treated before?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Hi! Welcome to the wonderful, but at times very frustrating world of hingebacks. Let's start with finding out what kind of hingeback do you have?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi "Tandksmommy:"

(Did you mean for your user name to be "Tanksmommy?" If so, we can change it for you)

Welcome to the forum! May we know your name and where you are?

Hang in there and keep coming back to read the replies, because we have a few really good hingeback keepers here on the forum and they will be happy to help you. But it sometimes takes a while for folks to sign in and read all the posts, so give us a bit.

I'm so glad you were able to take this tortoise in.

I'm sure it would help if our hingeback keepers can see pictures. If you put your pictures into a Photobucket or Tinypic account its fairly easy to transfer them here to your threads.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Let's also go over all the basics of how you have him set up...

How big is his tank? What is there for substrate (the bedding)? Substrate will factor in on the humidity along with allowing him to dig in (the amount of need for this, is some what dependent on species.

Is that waterdish big enough for him to sit in it and soak with water about where the two shells join? All the hingebacks enjoy soaking time, and the Homes and Erosa even more so. What temps are you keeping him at? What is your room temp? Often with these guys, you house is warm enough with out any or much outside heating.

Does he have a hide? A humid hide especially is good for these guys. A humid hide is basically just one with a high humidity holding substrate in it...like long sphagnum moss or leaves even.

Same with light, what he has now may be enough. So don't run out and buy a new one until we check things out a bit more.

Give him a try on the more universally loved by hingbeack foods first...mushrooms, melons (especially the muskmelon), papaya, worms, sweet potatoes, and squash. Usually riper fruits, foods with bright reds, oranges, and yellow tend to be the most loved. Also try greens on him...like turnip, dandelion, grape leaves, even romaine. With some, getting them to eat greens can be difficult, with others it is easy. It's important to try to give them a more balanced diet, even if they reject a lot of it. Also be sure to get a cuttlebone for him.

Tandksmommy

5 Year Member
Jacqui said:
Hi! Welcome to the wonderful, but at times very frustrating world of hingebacks. Let's start with finding out what kind of hingeback do you have?

I'm not 100% sure. I'm not sure if a photo will help, but it seems he's a Bell's since he has the "fringe" on the edge of his shell. That green and orange stuff is the dragon food they were feeding him.
021411100903.jpg
Hi "Tandksmommy:"

(Did you mean for your user name to be "Tanksmommy?" If so, we can change it for you)

Welcome to the forum! May we know your name and where you are?

Hang in there and keep coming back to read the replies, because we have a few really good hingeback keepers here on the forum and they will be happy to help you. But it sometimes takes a while for folks to sign in and read all the posts, so give us a bit.

I'm so glad you were able to take this tortoise in.

I'm sure it would help if our hingeback keepers can see pictures. If you put your pictures into a Photobucket or Tinypic account its fairly easy to transfer them here to your threads.
[/quote]

Thanks for the warm welcome. My user name comes from my 2 (human) children Tyler and Kallie. I get the question all the time though, if it was supposed to be tanksmommy..haha. :)

Jacqui said:
Let's also go over all the basics of how you have him set up...

How big is his tank? What is there for substrate (the bedding)? Substrate will factor in on the humidity along with allowing him to dig in (the amount of need for this, is some what dependent on species.

Is that waterdish big enough for him to sit in it and soak with water about where the two shells join? All the hingebacks enjoy soaking time, and the Homes and Erosa even more so. What temps are you keeping him at? What is your room temp? Often with these guys, you house is warm enough with out any or much outside heating.

Does he have a hide? A humid hide especially is good for these guys. A humid hide is basically just one with a high humidity holding substrate in it...like long sphagnum moss or leaves even.

Same with light, what he has now may be enough. So don't run out and buy a new one until we check things out a bit more.

Give him a try on the more universally loved by hingbeack foods first...mushrooms, melons (especially the muskmelon), papaya, worms, sweet potatoes, and squash. Usually riper fruits, foods with bright reds, oranges, and yellow tend to be the most loved. Also try greens on him...like turnip, dandelion, grape leaves, even romaine. With some, getting them to eat greens can be difficult, with others it is easy. It's important to try to give them a more balanced diet, even if they reject a lot of it. Also be sure to get a cuttlebone for him.

Right now, he has some icky substrate in there, that I've gotta get cleaned out. I have coconut substrate to put in and get him all nice and cozy.

The water dish that he has is big enough to soak in. It's a 55 gallon tank, so plenty of room for him to roam.

He has no hide right now (but once I get the basics of what he needs, I'm off to the pet store). He came to me with substrate, a water dish and lizard food-that's all. :(

Our house temp is usually 68ish. And he has the aquarium light on.

I do happen to have some sweet potatoes so I'm going to shred some of that up, and give it to him until I can get him some favorites.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
No, I don't think a Bells.

Which of these pictures looks most like him?
200-2.jpg

With the next two, the main point to look at, is the rear end. See how there is a difference in how it falls downward and where that falling starts?
011-2-1.jpg

007-1.jpg

or...see how this one does a more gentle curve downward?
108.jpg

112.jpg

A side shot, especially one showing the rear will help us a lot to ID him.

Benjamin

5 Year Member
zone 7b
Steam the potatoes first, they like soft foods.
Best of luck.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Tandksmommy said:
Right now, he has some icky substrate in there, that I've gotta get cleaned out. I have coconut substrate to put in and get him all nice and cozy.

The water dish that he has is big enough to soak in. It's a 55 gallon tank, so plenty of room for him to roam.

He has no hide right now (but once I get the basics of what he needs, I'm off to the pet store). He came to me with substrate, a water dish and lizard food-that's all. :(

I do happen to have some sweet potatoes so I'm going to shred some of that up, and give it to him until I can get him some favorites.

My personal opinion is, that the coir by itself is not ideal. If this was me, I would be mixing in some same. I would also collect some leaves. A bit harder to do this time of year, but well worth it for these guys. An area with cypress mulch would be great too. Then like I said, I would go with the moss in the hide. The reasoning on all of these is trying to hold in the moisture/humidity while giving them a secure feeling.

When you make or buy a hide, make it so the top is just higher then the top of his shell (mainly the door way, it helps with security feelings).

68 is a bit low, so a heat emitter may be a good idea. Or even a red/black light may offer enough warmth. What do you have for the tank top?

I would also go get some fake plants from some place less expensive then a pet store. Big leafed vines, things to kind of let him hide behind them a bit for security. Is this guy shy or has he been around long enough to be outgoing?

Tandksmommy

5 Year Member
Jacqui said:
Tandksmommy said:

My personal opinion is, that the coir by itself is not ideal. If this was me, I would be mixing in some same. I would also collect some leaves. A bit harder to do this time of year, but well worth it for these guys. An area with cypress mulch would be great too. Then like I said, I would go with the moss in the hide. The reasoning on all of these is trying to hold in the moisture/humidity while giving them a secure feeling.

When you make or buy a hide, make it so the top is just higher then the top of his shell (mainly the door way, it helps with security feelings).

68 is a bit low, so a heat emitter may be a good idea. Or even a red/black light may offer enough warmth. What do you have for the tank top?

I would also go get some fake plants from some place less expensive then a pet store. Big leafed vines, things to kind of let him hide behind them a bit for security. Is this guy shy or has he been around long enough to be outgoing?

Mixing in some "same"? Did you mean sand?

He has a standard aquarium top right now, as you would if you had fish in there. Just found that our puppy chewed the cord, so now he has no light. I'll have to get a lamp to emit some heat for him, as well as light the tank until my husband can replace the cord or buy a new aquarium light (I'm NOT happy wtih that dog right now!).

Definitely going to get him some plants and a hut to make it alittle more "natural" for him since right now it's like a big open tank with nowhere for him to go. He hasn't really come out of his shell much, but if I place him in one area- he does move to another so I know he's alive. I don't think he was given much attention at all so he seems very shy.

Here's a pic from the side:
021411123255.jpg

And here is a pic of his "sunken" looking areas. The scutes have an area around the edge which sits higher then the 'inside' of the scute. I hope that makes sense.
021411123337.jpg

Also, could my HE actually be a SHE?

His shell looks pretty flat on the bottom to me, (but what do I know..haha) and not concave like males seem to be in pictures.

021411133248.jpg

021411133230.jpg

Benjamin

5 Year Member
zone 7b
Looks like you have a female kinixys homeana.
They are not always the most outgoing.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
:D Yes, I did mean sand, sorry! *blushes*

You have a Homes. By a standard top, do you mean a screen or one of those enclosed plastic tops that the bulb sits inside of?

Hey, don't be too tough on the puppy, cords are meant to be chewed. :p:rolleyes: He also did a good job of reminding you about a puppy or dog. They will chew cords and may jump onto the tank, so be sure it is secure. Also be sure to keep the two of them separate. There is something about tortoise shells that dogs seem to be unable to resist chewing them.

For us to sex him/her, can you take some pictures of his tail? He doesn't look too bad. How is his weight (does he kinda feel heavy like a rock)? Being shy is normal, but they do usually learn to come out of it to some extent. Feeling secure (hides and plants help with that) will go a long way for him being more outgoing.

What did he think of the sweet potato?

Tandksmommy

5 Year Member
Jacqui said:
:D Yes, I did mean sand, sorry! *blushes*

You have a Homes. By a standard top, do you mean a screen or one of those enclosed plastic tops that the bulb sits inside of?

Hey, don't be too tough on the puppy, cords are meant to be chewed. :p:rolleyes: He also did a good job of reminding you about a puppy or dog. They will chew cords and may jump onto the tank, so be sure it is secure. Also be sure to keep the two of them separate. There is something about tortoise shells that dogs seem to be unable to resist chewing them.

For us to sex him/her, can you take some pictures of his tail? He doesn't look too bad. How is his weight (does he kinda feel heavy like a rock)? Being shy is normal, but they do usually learn to come out of it to some extent. Feeling secure (hides and plants help with that) will go a long way for him being more outgoing.

What did he think of the sweet potato?

I'll be sure to get some sand as well.

The tortoise is in a tank which is up on a stand so the puppy will never be able to get to it. He's a basset hound, so he'll never get big enough to get up to the stand so I think tort-man (or maybe woman? LOL) is safe.

Getting a pic of his tail is going to be tough, as soon as I go near the tank, he goes right back into his shell.

Sweet potato is all still there. I'm heading out to the store now so I'll get him some mushrooms and hopefully entice him with some of those.

I've got my list: red or black light, humidity guage, tort food in produce section, hut to hide in, and reptile sand.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
No!!! Not reptile sand! Sorry I need to make it clear, what you get is actually play sand for like a child's sandbox. The reptile sand won't work and has it's own issues.

I tried to post the above as quickly as possible, I hope I caught you before you left.

Just a comment on the eating, they tend to eat early in the morning or in the evening. Misting will sometimes help with encouraging them to eat (as would soaking, but we don't want to stress him with required soakings unless we have to..which I doubt). They need quiet and privacy at first. Also tends to help having the feed dish right outside of the hide until they are more comfortable. Plus also keep in mind, any new tortoise is under stress so may go off food for several days or even two weeks.

Tandksmommy

5 Year Member
You caught me, I didn't make it to the pet store last night but I did get him/her some yummy food to eat.

Last night around 9pm, he was all over the place in the tank. He was trying to climb the glass. I tried to get a pic of his tail while he was roaming but it wasn't coming out clear. I figured as soon as I picked him up, he would go back in the shell and it would be impossible. I picked him up anyway, because I figured it couldn't get any worse and low and behold- he stayed out! He was moving his little legs as fast as he could trying to walk in air. I managed to get a pic of his tail:
021411213117.jpg

I tried waking my son up to check him out, but he just mumbled and told me to leave him alone he was trying to sleep..haha. I was so excited, I thought he would have been too. Guess he just thinks I'm a big dork..haha.

Here's a pic of him relaxing on my hand. Some of his scutes seem to be peeling off along the edge of his "fringe".
021411213308.jpg

Jacqui said:
No!!! Not reptile sand! Sorry I need to make it clear, what you get is actually play sand for like a child's sandbox. The reptile sand won't work and has it's own issues.

I tried to post the above as quickly as possible, I hope I caught you before you left.

Just a comment on the eating, they tend to eat early in the morning or in the evening. Misting will sometimes help with encouraging them to eat (as would soaking, but we don't want to stress him with required soakings unless we have to..which I doubt). They need quiet and privacy at first. Also tends to help having the feed dish right outside of the hide until they are more comfortable. Plus also keep in mind, any new tortoise is under stress so may go off food for several days or even two weeks.

Benjamin

5 Year Member
zone 7b
He is a she.
Growth is a bit improper. She should be fine once feeding on a proper diet. Females grow too about double the size of yours, albiet slowly.

Tandksmommy

5 Year Member
Benjamin said:
He is a she.
Growth is a bit improper. She should be fine once feeding on a proper diet. Females grow too about double the size of yours, albiet slowly.

Approx when do they reach their full size? She is about 2 years old. Can their growth be stunted because of improper feeding? I feel so bad for her, but I guess because she doesn't make noise and carry on like a dog or cat would when mistreated--the owner didn't bother much.

I don't think the lady did to much research on her, because she said she was a HE, and as soon as I took a good look and saw the compeltely flat plastron I figured he was actually a SHE! Thanks for the confirmation!

Status
Not open for further replies.