What can i do to better her enclosure?

babyhermanns

Location (City and/or State)
florida
What can i do to better her enclosure? Next year sometime she will be moved into another raised bed that is twice the size. The one she is in at the moment is 1.5 x 6 ft. I’m most likely going to grab a dishwashing bin for a humid hide, but I read hermanns tortoises need 40-60% humidity and my current humidity in the air is 71%. She has two half log hides, one with deep substrate and the other with thin. She is about 1.5 years old, please let me know if she’s looking healthy. Thank you.

E973FBC3-29FB-457A-BBC1-8BCFA199BE4C.jpeg8C7F0DEF-E71F-440E-850F-F5BB0932E709.jpegAA538F3D-2D2B-4AA8-99E8-4F00A4E048E4.jpegE973FBC3-29FB-457A-BBC1-8BCFA199BE4C.jpeg1C058F0B-34C8-45B8-BC93-D72288CACD5A.jpeg19183279-35EC-41B7-BFA2-FCA803125008.jpeg64295E82-2247-4184-A71A-2478ABB6ACAD.jpeg99DAFBF1-4A8C-48EF-AF37-D5CAC51A2BB3.jpeg433CBB52-308B-42C0-B1EC-58232B98077E.jpeg

Attachments

• 0997D257-63C0-475B-A7A4-C40ED052DC7A.jpeg
    0997D257-63C0-475B-A7A4-C40ED052DC7A.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 5

Happytort27

CA
The enclosure looks pretty good. Add a couple of spider plants, pothos, boston fern, a dedicated seed mix section, and it’ll be perfect. Are you housing her outside? What is your substrate?

Please take a look at this thread:

babyhermanns

florida
The enclosure looks pretty good. Add a couple of spider plants, pothos, boston fern, a dedicated seed mix section, and it’ll be perfect. Are you housing her outside? What is your substrate?

Please take a look at this thread:
she is outside, as our climate here in florida seems to suit the species. my substrate is a mix of topsoil and sand. some of the photos were from a while ago when i used a pet store mulch. Also, when you say seed mix what do you mean?

babyhermanns

florida
she is outside, as our climate here in florida seems to suit the species. my substrate is a mix of topsoil and sand. some of the photos were from a while ago when i used a pet store mulch. Also, when you say seed mix what do you mean?

Happytort27

CA
Sand can cause impaction if ingested and should be avoided completely. You do not know what the topsoil contains. It can have clippings of plants that were sprayed with pesticides or poisonous plants. Orchid bark, coco coir, or cypress mulch are the best substrates to use.

As for the housing (correct me if I’m wrong), but I believe that she should be housed indoors until she is bigger/older. Even though your humidity is pretty good, the temperature can vary. Especially at night, the temps can drop to be really cold, and there’s no way of controlling it outdoors. They need to be under stable temperatures (maintained indoors in an enclosed chamber).

Seed mixes: https://www.tortoisesupply.com/SeedMixes

You can also find some on amazon or other companies.

babyhermanns

florida
Sand can cause impaction if ingested and should be avoided completely. You do not know what the topsoil contains. It can have clippings of plants that were sprayed with pesticides or poisonous plants. Orchid bark, coco coir, or cypress mulch are the best substrates to use.

As for the housing (correct me if I’m wrong), but I believe that she should be housed indoors until she is bigger/older. Even though your humidity is pretty good, the temperature can vary. Especially at night, the temps can drop to be really cold, and there’s no way of controlling it outdoors. They need to be under stable temperatures (maintained indoors in an enclosed chamber).

Seed mixes: https://www.tortoisesupply.com/SeedMixes

You can also find some on amazon or other companies.
thank you! i will definitely be looking into changing her substrate and getting a seed mix. As for the temperatures she has an indoor enclosure that we move her into in the winters, and chilly days. the weather is always monitored. even right now as we enter the colder seasons, our temperature where i live in florida is about 85 degrees on average in the daytime, and reaches around the 70s at night time. i will definitely consider moving her inside full time though.

babyhermanns

florida

Happytort27

CA
I’m not sure what you are asking? I already answered that question in the previous post.