What can I do about the substrate on food?

CountingMareep713

Location (City and/or State)
Columbus, OH
I have a RT and whenever he eats, he gets substrate on his food. I try to wipe it off as much as I can, but sometimes I can't be home to do that. I have eco earth coconut fiber, and im worried that he'll eat it while I'm gone. I don't know if that could cause impaction or not. Is it safe if he eats a little bit? Or is this really cause to worry? And if so, how can I prevent this? Thanks in advance.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
I have a RT and whenever he eats, he gets substrate on his food. I try to wipe it off as much as I can, but sometimes I can't be home to do that. I have eco earth coconut fiber, and im worried that he'll eat it while I'm gone. I don't know if that could cause impaction or not. Is it safe if he eats a little bit? Or is this really cause to worry? And if so, how can I prevent this? Thanks in advance.

It’s completely safe! Not much you can do about it though. Unless you change your substrate to something chunky, like orchid bark, it will always get on the food. But, eco earth is completely digestible, so it probably bothers us more than it bothers them :)

CountingMareep713

Columbus, OH
It’s completely safe! Not much you can do about it though. Unless you change your substrate to something chunky, like orchid bark, it will always get on the food. But, eco earth is completely digestible, so it probably bothers us more than it bothers them :)
Okay, thank you so much for that clarification. I can now be put at ease.

Rusky

Allentown, Pennsylvania
It should be fine, but I like to put food on a rock to prevent this. It also helps wear down their beak while they're eating.

CountingMareep713

Columbus, OH
It should be fine, but I like to put food on a rock to prevent this. It also helps wear down their beak while they're eating.
I've been using 8" terracotta saucers. I definitely don't put it directly in the enclosure. But he climbs over the leaves and kicks up substrate while he eats.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've been using 8" terracotta saucers. I definitely don't put it directly in the enclosure. But he climbs over the leaves and kicks up substrate while he eats.

I was going to suggest this! :)

The small amount that is incidentally ingested will pass through the GI tract harmlessly.

You can make the coir less messy by making a very thinck layer and then hand packing it down, so its not so loose. It usually settles in after a couple of weeks.

If you have an adult russian, you might want to switch to fine grade orchid bark. Much cleaner and easier to work with.