what breed is my tort?

pillowkale222

Location (City and/or State)
Norfolk
hello, we have had our Reggie for over 3 years now, we got her from a family friend who was moving away. We had her in an enclosure but she kept scratching at itt and always got herself stuck trying to open the it! She currently lives on my bedroom floor, this is super contreversial I've seen but she hasn't had any problems with biting furniture, being kicked or eating thing's she's not meant to. Some of the enclosures posted here are amazing! -But I feel bad keeping her in a small space.
reggie.jpeg

Can you give me some insight to the tortoise world and identify what type of tortoise she is? I haven't seen one like her! Also, can you give me some advice on taking care of her and making sure she lives her life to the fullest? Thank you:)

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Can you post a picture of the plastron, underneath? Please

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
There actually aren't breeds of tortoise, there are species.

This is a Greek tortoise, Testudo graeca, and looks to be the Ibera subspecies. Testo graeca ibera.

You really need to build an enclosure. It's just a matter of time before something happens.

Blue_The_Tort

Ukraine
hey :) it’s a very pretty tort you have there but just wanted to mention that it’s very bad keeping them on the floor. As tortoises live for a long time the health problems might not come up straight away or you just won’t be able to see that something is wrong until it’s too late. They don’t live in these kind of conditions out in the wild so it shouldn’t be any different, even if they are not in the wild. And keeping things like temperature and moisture right is very hard and probably won’t be able to be done right. Keeping her on the floor could cause problems with their organs like kidneys in particular. So like TeamZissou said get an enclosure as soon as possible!

pillowkale222

Norfolk
There actually aren't breeds of tortoise, there are species.

This is a Greek tortoise, Testudo graeca, and looks to be the Ibera subspecies. Testo graeca ibera.

You really need to build an enclosure. It's just a matter of time before something happens.

thank you for letting me know, I will build one asap

pillowkale222

Norfolk
hey :) it’s a very pretty tort you have there but just wanted to mention that it’s very bad keeping them on the floor. As tortoises live for a long time the health problems might not come up straight away or you just won’t be able to see that something is wrong until it’s too late. They don’t live in these kind of conditions out in the wild so it shouldn’t be any different, even if they are not in the wild. And keeping things like temperature and moisture right is very hard and probably won’t be able to be done right. Keeping her on the floor could cause problems with their organs like kidneys in particular. So like TeamZissou said get an enclosure as soon as possible!
hey, thank you for letting me know, I will build one asap!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
She currently lives on my bedroom floor, this is super contreversial I've seen but...
I saw your replies saying you plan to make an enclosure, but I wanted to emphasize: This practice is not controversial. This practice is dangerous and almost always ends in disaster in one of many ways eventually. I'm glad to see you are taking the advice given.

Here is the current and correct care info: