What are Your Plans in Case of Emergency?

TortMom6

Location (City and/or State)
Citrus Heights, California, USA
There is a large, very un-contained wild fire raging about 2.5 hours from where I live. While I feel safe that it will not come as far as Sacramento it has gotten me to thinking about emergency preparations for my tortoises (and all my other pets too), not just fire emergencies, but any emergency that would require me to leave quickly.

Do any of you have emergency plans for your tortoises? If so what are they?

I am thinking about making a bail-out box of emergency supplies. Just not sure what it should include.

I hate thinking about this, my greatest fear is not being able to get everyone out in time. I imagine there will be nightmares for a good few nights now, but better prepared than not.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
No real plan except every living thing gets out of the house. I do want to pic up a couple small cages for my lizards and possibly one for each tortoise. I just figure if it's cold out and it's a house fire, everyone can keep warm in the tortoise shed or my cars.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
We live in NH, so the climate is the big potential challenge for my exotic pets.

We lose power 10-20 times each year, generally short duration interruptions, but we have a generator sized and wired for the house that picks up the slack a few seconds after the power goes out.

If the power stays out for a week, or we have to leave the house for some reason, I've got a travel kit for Darwin, my redfoot.

IMG_7034.jpg

It's a 60 quart container, by Ziploc.

IMG_7035.jpg

Everything fits inside, until such time as Darwin needs to go in.

IMG_7040.jpg

Two Rubbermaid containers: one with cypress for the big box, then a soaking tub when Darwin needs it; one with a cutout that can be used as a hide in the big box.

IMG_7042.jpg

A waterproof heating pad, thermostat power supply, and an inverter for running the heater in my car (and on the road).

IMG_7043.jpg

Water for soaking the cypress, hydrating the food, and washing Darwin.

Food and plastic lid: dehydrated fruit and veg and bugs, tortoise kibble.

Jamie

PS - we've got go-bags for the dogs, and Beulah, the marine toad, is tough as nails, and can wait out the power outage

TortMom6

Citrus Heights, California, USA
We live in NH, so the climate is the big potential challenge for my exotic pets.

We lose power 10-20 times each year, generally short duration interruptions, but we have a generator sized and wired for the house that picks up the slack a few seconds after the power goes out.

If the power stays out for a week, or we have to leave the house for some reason, I've got a travel kit for Darwin, my redfoot.

View attachment 256735

View attachment 256737

View attachment 256738

Two Rubbermaid containers: one with cypress for the big box, then a soaking tub when Darwin needs it; one with a cutout that can be used as a hide in the big box.

View attachment 256740

A waterproof heating pad, thermostat power supply, and an inverter for running the heater in my car (and on the road).

View attachment 256741

Jamie

PS - we've got go-bags for the dogs, and Beulah, the marine toad, is tough as nails, and can wait out the power outage
I think I'm going to have to put one of these together for peace of mind if nothing else.
I'll make one for everyone: box turtle, leopard tortoise, Greek Tortoise, White's tree frogs, and guinea pigs.

Might even put some extras in my car just in case.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
My head is in a hole in the ground, my fingers are crossed, and I'm hoping there will never be such an event.
I'm with you. I would have a great deal of difficulty getting Charlie out of the yard and into the car. It is probably impossible for my husband and me to pick him up by ourselves. I just have one tortoise to worry about. I can't imagine what you could do to deal with all of yours.

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
I'm with you. I would have a great deal of difficulty getting Charlie out of the yard and into the car. It is probably impossible for my husband and me to pick him up by ourselves. I just have one tortoise to worry about. I can't imagine what you could do to deal with all of yours.
(approximately) How much does Charlie weigh these days?

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
Look into ways to move large dogs and furniture, and to get them into and out of vehicles. A visit to an agricultural supply place may give you a few ideas, too.

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida

View attachment 256735

View attachment 256737

View attachment 256738

View attachment 256740

View attachment 256741

Jamie

Jamie, I have a background in emergency management... and I'm IMPRESSED! There's both efficiency and elegance in how you have thought through the planning, and in how your kit includes key items that are multi-use.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan

View attachment 256735

View attachment 256737

View attachment 256738

View attachment 256740

View attachment 256741

Jamie

A good idea.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
There is a large, very un-contained wild fire raging about 2.5 hours from where I live. While I feel safe that it will not come as far as Sacramento it has gotten me to thinking about emergency preparations for my tortoises (and all my other pets too), not just fire emergencies, but any emergency that would require me to leave quickly.

I am thinking about making a bail-out box of emergency supplies. Just not sure what it should include.

I hate thinking about this, my greatest fear is not being able to get everyone out in time. I imagine there will be nightmares for a good few nights now, but better prepared than not.
Frankly speaking I have no idea what I would do, despite the fact that we've had terrible floods here in Jordan. (12 dead).

MaddOphelia

San Francisco Bay Area, CA

Thank you for starting this thread! We're down here in the East Bay, about an hour south of Sac, and even here, the air is bad enough that we're stuck in the house with the air filters running 24/7. It's definitely got me thinking in more detail about how to evacuate Coralie if need be.