What are your opinions on this hide?

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Malverne, NY
ehhh... probably better for a smoother moving reptile. The tort having to go over the entrance lip all the time would probably turn him or her off.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Maybe sink it down into the substrate to bury the 'threshold'

M0rdrid

Virginia
Maybe sink it down into the substrate to bury the 'threshold'

I was thinking of doing that or even using my dremel to remove the threshold all together. My main concern was if it would be big enough, as much as I like it aesthetically I'd rather a turtle actually have enough room inside. It'd be for an ornate box turtle so I know I could use it for at least a year or two but I didn't know how tall their shells can get.

Danimal

5 Year Member
MS
I have made a hide for every tortoise I've had, usually out of a plastic bin w/ a lid. It'll cost you a dollar at the dollar store. Bonus, depending on growth and size of bin sometimes you can just keep making the hole bigger until they outgrow the bin. If you want aesthetics, craft the crap out of that bin :)

M0rdrid

Virginia
I have made a hide for every tortoise I've had, usually out of a plastic bin w/ a lid. It'll cost you a dollar at the dollar store. Bonus, depending on growth and size of bin sometimes you can just keep making the hole bigger until they outgrow the bin. If you want aesthetics, craft the crap out of that bin :)

I've seen the bins used and know they can keep humidity inside never thought to try and decorate or make sculpt onto them. I'll have to give it a try!