What Are You Knitting Right Now? ♣ ♣ ♣

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Boston, MA
Alright all you knitters out there, let's see what projects you're currently working on!

I've been working on this scarf (off and on - but mostly OFF lol) since February. But I'm in the home stretch now! Probably about 85% done and can't wait to finish...not that I need it right now. They're forecasting 65 degrees for Christmas!! (It should only be about 30 degrees! hahaha)

What knitting projects do you have lying around? If you're on Ravelry, I have the username as TFO!
IMG_5937.jpg
IMG_5940.JPG

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Very pretty, but February? Wow that's a long time. I'm not doing any this year. I'm barely a knitted. Did make my dog some scarfs a couple years ago. She wouldn't leave them alone though. She's a turd that doesn't leave anything alone.

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
Very pretty, but February? Wow that's a long time. I'm not doing any this year. I'm barely a knitted. Did make my dog some scarfs a couple years ago. She wouldn't leave them alone though. She's a turd that doesn't leave anything alone.

Awww, she didn't appreciate your hard work?? Have any pictures of her with her scarf?

And yes, February! Hahaha.... I generally don't knit in the warmer months, and I also had a wedding, a honeymoon, several other weddings, a sick tortoise, and craft fair season (and on time of all that I'm dreadfully slow at knitting, too)! I just picked this back up to try and finish by Christmas.... It's a bit of a pipe dream...But talking about knitting with others keeps me motivated!

Come on, there has to be other knitters here on TFO!

W Shaw

Not a knitter, but I've been crocheting tons of neck warmers lately. I can't make them fast enough for all the people who want them, so it seems like I'm always one behind. I know how knitters feel about crocheters, but no on else was stopping by to say hello, so I thought I would.

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
Not a knitter, but I've been crocheting tons of neck warmers lately. I can't make them fast enough for all the people who want them, so it seems like I'm always one behind. I know how knitters feel about crocheters, but no on else was stopping by to say hello, so I thought I would.

LOL! I'm sorry, I didn't mean to leave 'your kind' out ;-)

I wish I knew how to crochet - it seems so much faster!! People tell me it's super easy, but I've found it hard to pick up so I stuck with my super slow knitting!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I would rather crochet than knit. It seems to go faster. And I can do it without looking. I have a chest in my closet full of yarn (probably motheaten by now), but no projects in the works to use any of it.

chest a.jpg chest b.jpg

Last edited:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I did find a pic with one of the scarfs. I even made sure it was short, but she still figured out how to get rid of it. Should have taken a video. You can tell in the pic she's full of pee and vinegar and ran around like a maniac when I got it on her. Then she got it off.
I tried knitting cause I thought it was easier, it sounds easier, but then I found and heard where crocheting was easier, darn it.
So here is the crazy scarf dog.image.jpeg

W Shaw

I couldn't learn to knit. I have the fine motor issues that often go along with ADD, and no matter hard I try to hang on to them, the needles escape after a row or two and slide out of the work. Very frustrating. Also, I make a lot of mistakes and if you make a mistake in knitting it's a huge deal because all the stitches are on the needles at the same time. With crochet, there's only ever one stitch on the hook, so if you make a mistake, you just drop the hook and pull out the work back to the last spot you were sure of. Stick the hook back in the loop and off you go.

I can boast though, that I often win the epitome of compliments. People are always saying, "Wow! That's so nice that it doesn't even look crocheted!" *sigh* They mean well, I'm sure!

For the knitters who have trouble learning to crochet, it's almost certainly because the foundation chain is confusing, and so are granny squares and that's what everyone tells you to start with. No wonder people get confused!I recommend starting by making hair scrunchies instead, because there is no foundation chain, and crocheting the first row around a hair tie keeps all your stitches even and lined up, so they're easy to see.

Any of the knitters have any tips for keeping the needles from escaping?

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
I couldn't learn to knit. I have the fine motor issues that often go along with ADD, and no matter hard I try to hang on to them, the needles escape after a row or two and slide out of the work. Very frustrating. Also, I make a lot of mistakes and if you make a mistake in knitting it's a huge deal because all the stitches are on the needles at the same time. With crochet, there's only ever one stitch on the hook, so if you make a mistake, you just drop the hook and pull out the work back to the last spot you were sure of. Stick the hook back in the loop and off you go.

I can boast though, that I often win the epitome of compliments. People are always saying, "Wow! That's so nice that it doesn't even look crocheted!" *sigh* They mean well, I'm sure!

For the knitters who have trouble learning to crochet, it's almost certainly because the foundation chain is confusing, and so are granny squares and that's what everyone tells you to start with. No wonder people get confused!I recommend starting by making hair scrunchies instead, because there is no foundation chain, and crocheting the first row around a hair tie keeps all your stitches even and lined up, so they're easy to see.

Oh, I had no idea that with crocheting it's not the end of the world if you drop a stitch!! I definitely need to learn now. I've gotten better at 'fixing' my mistakes (by that I mean I make up something or even manually sew up a hole with yarn when I'm done), but it can be very aggravating...

The only tip I have is that you could try using wooden needles, if you haven't already. They grab and hold the yarn... I knit waaaay too tightly to use wooden needles, but if you can relax and not make your loops strangle the needle, it'll help!

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
I did find a pic with one of the scarfs. I even made sure it was short, but she still figured out how to get rid of it. Should have taken a video. You can tell in the pic she's full of pee and vinegar and ran around like a maniac when I got it on her. Then she got it off.
I tried knitting cause I thought it was easier, it sounds easier, but then I found and heard where crocheting was easier, darn it.
So here is the crazy scarf dog.View attachment 159542

Hahaha she totally looks ready to take flight and cause mayhem. I like the scarf, though!!

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
I would rather crochet than knit. It seems to go faster. And I can do it without looking. I have a chest in my closet full of yarn (probably motheaten by now), but no projects in the works to use any of it.

View attachment 159533 View attachment 159534

Omg, yarn just gathers and gathers!! I have sooo much, and most of it I didn't even buy myself. I have all of my own half-started projects, and then when my grandmother passed I got all of HER half-started projects AND yarn. And people give it to me as gifts - I probably have yarn coming out of my ears!

AnimalLady

This dog is my DREAM dog. We bought one, and well, we got a bad one. He was in my opinion from a "backyard breeder" and he was so aggressive... even as just a pup, he was food aggressive and something just wasnt right. His name is Macho and I wished with all my heart I could have fixed him... he bit my son in the face and thank goodness he didnt need stitches, so, we rehomed him, to a wonderful, one person no animal home. I miss him so much.

W Shaw

Cute little rogue!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

You just have to always hang onto them with your pinky fingers. I learned how by sitting in front of my grandma and watching her knit. And because I was watching on the OTHER side of the work, I learned how to knit left-handed, or backwards. I know how to pick up a dropped stitch in knitting. You just bring it up with a crochet hook. I s'pose anything is easy once you get the hang of it.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I don't knit traditionally, I can't get the hang of it. I have to use a loom.

Prairie Mom

This is a cool thread idea! I hope lots of people show off their stuff:) I wanna seeeeee!:D

AnimalLady

I have a few lop-sided pot holders, the lady in the youtube video said those were the best things to make to practice with, yea right, couldnt even get one to come out straight!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
This dog is my DREAM dog. We bought one, and well, we got a bad one. He was in my opinion from a "backyard breeder" and he was so aggressive... even as just a pup, he was food aggressive and something just wasnt right. His name is Macho and I wished with all my heart I could have fixed him... he bit my son in the face and thank goodness he didnt need stitches, so, we rehomed him, to a wonderful, one person no animal home. I miss him so much.
She's a clown but would never have another one. She's the hardest dog I have ever had. She's like having a terrible two phase none stop and she was 8 in July. Constant needing to be watched and she needs to be in the middle of everything. She can make you laugh a lot though but the next minute you want to choke her. LOL. They have more energy then I have ever had. I even did all the research needed, they lie about them I think LOL. This is one breed that I think would do better in a pair. They can wear each other out.
Love her though and she does crack me up.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
I crocheted 4/5th of a scarf once. Now I sew. I bought a bulk lot of fleece from a gal on Craigslist and now I need to figure out what ot do with 100 yards of awesome.