What are some good plants/grass/weeds to plant in indoor enclosures?

Ramirezm2

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Elk Grove CA
I have used Lugarti terrarium grass and also tried alfalfa sprouts but what are some other things I could try that would work well with t-5 light fixtures and is also a good source of food. Maybe clovers?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Have a look at www.thetortoisetable.org.uk for tort safe plants.

Try to grow from seeds or chemical free cuttings because if you use shop bought plants you have to re pot in fertiliser/pesticide free soil and wait for at least a year for any chemicals that have been absorbed by the plant to grow out.
If you grow them in pots or trays you can sink them in the substrate and when they have been eaten down or bulldozed you can easily replace with another tray.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
Pothos is pretty easy to grow, makes a great planting for an enclosure, and is safe for (redfoot) tortoises to nibble.

I've also grown wandering Jew and mint in my redfoot's enclosure, but pothos is the easiest and most popular nibble.

Jamie

Last edited:

Ramirezm2

5 Year Member
Elk Grove CA
Have a look at www.thetortoisetable.org.uk for tort safe plants.

Try to grow from seeds or chemical free cuttings because if you use shop bought plants you have to re pot in fertiliser/pesticide free soil and wait for at least a year for any chemicals that have been absorbed by the plant to grow out.
If you grow them in pots or trays you can sink them in the substrate and when they have been eaten down or bulldozed you can easily replace with another tray.
I was thinking trying different species of seeds and see what works best. I have 6 different species of tortoises and was also thinking planting things that would closely resemble their natural habitat. Thanks for the info!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I was thinking trying different species of seeds and see what works best. I have 6 different species of tortoises and was also thinking planting things that would closely resemble their natural habitat. Thanks for the info!
You can buy special mixes of seeds for tortoises from tortoise supply sites or Amazon.
I also grow dandelions from seed by collecting the fluffy seed heads.

Ramirezm2

5 Year Member
Elk Grove CA
You can buy special mixes of seeds for tortoises from tortoise supply sites or Amazon.
I also grow dandelions from seed by collecting the fluffy seed heads.
Awesome thanks for the info. I have actually bought a Burmese star and products from tortoise supply so I will definitely look into it.