What alternative options do I have?

Julian32122

Location (City and/or State)
Vallejo
I recently upgraded this new enclosure to help keep the proper humidity levels for my 4-month old Russian tortoise. It’s great, but the metal top screen absorbs about 30% of the heat or so it seems. My heating/basking bulb now only reaches about 88-90f as opposed to 95-100f like it used to from the same distance. It’s a 100 watt megaray, so I’m assuming I need some sort of incandescent bulb with a higher wattage? Any other recommendation or bulb that would work great for this scenario?

QUICK NOTE: I need to keep the screen on as it has mounting brackets for my T8 bulb on the inside. You can’t see it from the angle I took the picture, but it’s hanging on the top. My UVB needs are met, but I just need a good type of bulb that’ll raise the temp high enough.

Attachments

• 8B1C287F-B5CB-4B1D-9C8B-56DE94BCDBB8.jpeg
    8B1C287F-B5CB-4B1D-9C8B-56DE94BCDBB8.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 15
Last edited:

Hamiltondood

Richmond, Texas
I recently upgraded this new enclosure to help keep the proper humidity levels for my 4-month old Russian tortoise. It’s great, but the metal top screen absorbs about 30% of the heat or so it seems. My heating/basking bulb now only reaches about 88-90f as opposed to 95-100f like it used to from the same distance. It’s a 100 watt megaray, so I’m assuming I need some sort of incandescent bulb with a higher wattage? Any other recommendation or bulb that would work great for this scenario?
maybe try looking at post #7
is there a way to open the top?

Relic

Here
Is the screen removable? I'm not sure you need it, unless you are trying to keep something out of the enclosure (Cat, dog, child, etc.).

Julian32122

Vallejo
maybe try looking at post #7
is there a way to open the top?
There isn’t, and I forgot to mention that I have a flourescent T8 bulb inside the enclosure - you just can’t see it. My UVB needs are met, I’m just lacking a proper heat/basking source now. I’ll check out the resource, thanks!