What a surprise!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayMillz

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Minnesota
So today was my last day of spring semester. I got home from school, misted the frog vivs and fed them. Since it's going to be raining the next couple of days I'm sure the house is going to get loud haha. Anyways, I went to go feed the torts in the garage and I found this single egg sitting in the open and it was warm. I was not expecting this at all, especially since they live in a box that won't allow them to dig a deep burrow. I'm not sure if I had crazy timing and Shelly literally just laid it and there's going to be more laid over the 24 hours? Do any of you know if sulcatas only lay viable eggs? I yanked the egg out fast because when Shelly & NewGuy see their door open it's a dash to get to the food dish and the little egg almost got trampled. I was not expecting any eggs for a couple more years until we could move back down south and they could have an entire yard all year to call home and get snuggled in. Now I need to find some incubation threads asap I guess. Anyways, I just thought I'd share this with you guys since from what I understood, it wasn't likely for them to lay eggs in their current set up and it seemed kind of unusual. I tossed some more hay in there and I'll probably check up on them again later tonight or tomorrow to see if there's any more.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
You might want to provide a spot for digging in so the future eggs can get buried. They lay more than one and from what I understand, will lay infertile eggs. Without a suitable place to lay, the one may become egg bound. Good luck and keep us posted!

JayMillz

5 Year Member
Minnesota
I can't give them a spot to dig for now because we have to live in a townhouse and follow their stupid rules. That's why I was shocked to even see an egg in there to begin with. I put under some heat (mid/upper 80s) and this weekend my friend who has pythons said I could put it in his incubator along with any others I might find in the next day or 2 if there are any. I'm not expecting it to hatch, mostly because I wasn't even expecting Shelly to lay anything, but you never know I guess.

Cowboy_Ken said:
You might want to provide a spot for digging in so the future eggs can get buried. They lay more than one and from what I understand, will lay infertile eggs. Without a suitable place to lay, the one may become egg bound. Good luck and keep us posted!

clucey

5 Year Member
Wow definitely keep us posted

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using TortForum mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.