Whaddaya Think? Gulf Coast or Luteola?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
This is 2017 rescue #15. It looks luteola, however, the head and legs are large, larger than a normal-sized luteola. But the overall body isn't gulf coast sized. It's male, and males DO have larger back legs and feet, but his head and front legs are larger too:

2017 Rescue #15 a.jpg 2017 Rescue #15 b.jpg 2017 Rescue #15c.jpg

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
My first guess was luteola. I've seen quite a few with a purple head like that. Plastron doesn't look quite right though and the more I look at it, the more I see Gulf Coast characteristics. I just don't know enough about GC boxies to say for sure though.

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
That's me too. I'm leaning towards Gulf Coast, but it's so small. Maybe it's a cross.

I think your assessment is correct Yvonne! Looks like an intergrade to me! The marginal scutes look like a gulf and the head and shell markings are close to a luteola! Pretty unique!

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I can't tell from your pictures, but does it have a nuchal scute? Somewhere along the lines I learned the nuchal scute is common in luteola's. I know all mine have one, but I have no idea if Gulf Coasts would have it too.

It's probably not a sure thing one way or the other, but it could provide another clue.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Face looks gulf Coast. I see mostly gulf Coast. How big is he?

My integrade is gulf coast/3 toed and she's huge. 710 grams in weight and will only be 6 years old in August. I can't tell from photos the size of this guy.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's the size of a luteola.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I can't tell from your pictures, but does it have a nuchal scute? Somewhere along the lines I learned the nuchal scute is common in luteola's. I know all mine have one, but I have no idea if Gulf Coasts would have it too.

It's probably not a sure thing one way or the other, but it could provide another clue.

I've put it out into an overgrown quarantine pen. If I can find it tomorrow I'll take a look. I hadn't heard that before.