Wet Growth Opuntia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
There has been many different ways of growing cactus mentioned here on TFO, Well here is another one that I tried and was surprised at the results.I found a pad (in the laundry room) that was misplaced during this past winter, it was good and dry and I had cut some of the top of the pad off to feed the tortoises,I was using the coke bottle system to start some vegetable seeds for the garden at the time,so I stuck the pad in a bottle and filled it with soil and it has been wet since, and is growing faster than I expected.I believe that if kept warm, moisture doesn't bother the winter hardy opuntia,Just like keeping hatchlings moist they must be kept warm.This pad has been sitting in a southeast facing window for about a month in constant moist soil. I took it outside to take the pic. I cut extra pads off my plants in the fall before they go dormant and the ones I don't feed off I usually stick in the ground in the spring to start new plants,but I have so many plants I am giving them away this year again.I wish every tortoise keeper had the same problem.This pad is from one of my newer plants that doesn't get the long spines and is cold weather hardy.-- Hope this helps anyone that wants to grow your own--Len

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Whoa, we haven't tried to grow any yet. That is the way we'll do it, thanks.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Thats very interesting, we have a few extra pads so we are going to try your way and see how it goes..

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
Hmmm, I think I may try that. I planted a pad in December and nothing yet :( It's outside not inside. Thanks for the tip. I'll have one to plant in a few days. I'm excited to see if it will work.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Very cool!! It almost looks fake :p Thanks for the tip, I might have to try this :)

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Now that's thinking outside the box...GREAT JOB Len! Almost as impressive are the giant mallow right behind it:p

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
DeanS said:
Now that's thinking outside the box...GREAT JOB Len! Almost as impressive are the giant mallow right behind it:p

Thanks for answering that for me Dean, lol

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
dalano73 said:
DeanS said:

Thanks for answering that for me Dean, lol

No problem! I didn't even notice your reference to it! I only mentioned it because my torts go nuts over it...even moreso than dandelion:p

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Very interesting Len. Thanks for sharing your discovery. One just can't grow too many cactus pads.

HarleyK

5 Year Member
Hey Len, can you tell us what the coke bottle system is? How do you set it up? Thanks!

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
HarleyK said:
Hey Len, can you tell us what the coke bottle system is? How do you set it up? Thanks!
Sure, It is a 2 liter soda or pop bottle cut in half at the bottom of the label and the top half is turned over and filled with soil,need to stick something in the opening to keep the soil form falling out,( i use pieces of cloth ) The bottom half holds the water and the top half is set into the bottom half and the water is wicked up into the soil. Here is a pic that was on an old thread, when I was Len with out the ? marks, The plant right behind the cactus in a bottle is yellow squash,I'm not sure what mallow is, There is something growing out of a crack that I thought was thistle,could be mallow, what ever it is the torts eat it.Len

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I have gotten some of the best idea's since joining this site and this is one of the best. Okay yellow squash is what growing behind the cactus, now my wife will be happy because thats what she thought it was at first.

Status
Not open for further replies.