Western Hermann's hatchling (Lighting)

TaylorTortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Abington
Hello everyone,
Question 1- I soon will be granted a new tortoise a Western Hermann's and would like to know what range of UVB would be sufficient enough for a hatchling?
is 5.0 okay or too low? is 10.00 okay or too much?

Question 2- What seems to be the best basking wattage for baby Hermanns?

Question 3- What is the best substrate people seem to like for their baby hermanns?
Also, what are some good starter foods? I have printed out care sheets, but would like to hear from the picky owners!
I plan on having plexi glass on one side of the enclosure to maintain humidity and proper heat for my new baby!

Looking forward to your responses.

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
Hello everyone,
Question 1- I soon will be granted a new tortoise a Western Hermann's and would like to know what range of UVB would be sufficient enough for a hatchling?

Question 3- What is the best substrate people seem to like for their baby hermanns?
Also, what are some good starter foods? I have printed out care sheets, but would like to hear from the picky owners!
I plan on having plexi glass on one side of the enclosure to maintain humidity and proper heat for my new baby!

10.0-12.0 uvb

65 watt flood bulb

orchid bark

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello everyone,

There are four elements to heating and lighting:

1. Basking bulb. I use 65 watt incandescent floods from the hardware store. Some people will need bigger, or smaller wattage bulbs. Let your thermometer be your guide. I run them on a timer for about 12 hours and adjust the height to get the correct basking temp under them. I also like to use a flat rock of some sort directly under the bulb. You need to check the temp with a thermometer directly under the bulb and get it to around 95-100F (36-37C).

2. Ambient heat maintenance. I use ceramic heating elements or radiant heat panels set on thermostats to maintain ambient above 80 degrees day and night for tropical species. You'd only need day heat for a temperate species like Testudo or DT, as long as your house stays above 60F (15-16C) at night.

3. Ambient light. I use LEDs for this purpose. Something in the 5000-6500K color range will look the best. Most bulbs at the store are in the 2500K range and they look yellowish. Strip or screw-in bulb types are both fine.

4. UV. If you can get your tortoise outside for an hour 2 or 3 times a week, you won't need indoor UV. If you want it anyway, get one of the newer HO type fluorescent tubes. Which type will depend on mounting height. 5.0 bulbs make almost no UV. You need a meter to check this: https://www.solarmeter.com/model65.html

Only your thermometer can tell you what wattage you need. We can make a suggestion to get you started, but every enclosure in every house is different. Same thing with the UV tubes. You need a meter to read YOUR uv levels in YOUR enclosure under YOUR bulb.