vff21l.jpg

Misty in NM

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
Hi Misty
Its sometimes is possible to get them to lay in the aspen, but usually they give up as they can't get deep enough. Is there any way you can put a container of packed soil where she wants to lay? I'd do that and cover it with the aspen. You can also make an aspen ramp up to the container. You want the container 6 inches at least and 8 would be better. But 6 inches with 2 inches of aspen on top of that will work just fine too. :)

Danny

AWAaviatrix

10 Year Member!
Los Lunas, New Mexico
egyptiandan said:
Hi Misty
Its sometimes is possible to get them to lay in the aspen, but usually they give up as they can't get deep enough. Is there any way you can put a container of packed soil where she wants to lay? I'd do that and cover it with the aspen. You can also make an aspen ramp up to the container. You want the container 6 inches at least and 8 would be better. But 6 inches with 2 inches of aspen on top of that will work just fine too. :)

Danny

I'll do that. Thanks for the much needed advice.

Misty in NM

AWAaviatrix

10 Year Member!
Los Lunas, New Mexico
AWAaviatrix said:
egyptiandan said:
Hi Misty

Danny

I'll do that. Thanks for the much needed advice.

Misty in NM

Lyra now has a "nesting box." I purchased a large, deep dish washing tub and packed the thing with almost 24 qts of soil. I placed it in the corner of the table where she first tried to nest. Topped it off with aspen bedding and poured a mountain of bedding all around it so she can climb on and off. Looks like a Star throne! Lets hope she likes it. :eek:)

Misty in NM

AWAaviatrix

10 Year Member!
Los Lunas, New Mexico
Well, I got Lyra started nesting in the box. She isn't being very picky as I walked in the shed to check on everyone and she was half perched in/on the food bowl and straining her legs and peeing into the substrate next to it. I picked her up and put her in the box and she started digging away with her hind legs.

Will update later tonight.

Misty in NM

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Great to hear Lyra is nesting again Misty Keep us posted, and my fingers are crossed for a successful clutch.

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
Any word Misty? Did she like the nesting box you created? Was she able to get in and out of it ok?

callum-dixon

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Could someone explain the incubation process to me ... is it difficult? What equipment etc is involved?

... I would love to own a pair of mating tortoises but i'm scared I wouldn't be able to look after the egg - its seems far too difficult :(

Callum

ps. Congratulations on your clutch Misty, how is Lyra doing?

AWAaviatrix

10 Year Member!
Los Lunas, New Mexico
RE: Finally eggs!

Well, after 13 days of nesting almost every evening Lyra decided to hell with the digging the hole in the tortoise table crap and laid 3 eggs right next to the food dish in the aspen. I didn't even notice what was going on when I walked in to give them their evening meal. She was plopped up on the side of the food dish so I said hi and moved her aside. Grabbed the dish and cleaned it out. When I turned around to put it back in the table there were 3 eggs laying there. Duh! She is still in nesting mode so I put her back where I found her and we'll see if anything else happens. Funny how when you stop being concerned about what is going to happen something does.

Eggs are , 18, 20 & 20 grams.

Nothing yet with the remaining egg she laid on 9/3.

Misty in NM

callum-dixon said:
Could someone explain the incubation process to me ... is it difficult? What equipment etc is involved?

... I would love to own a pair of mating tortoises but i'm scared I wouldn't be able to look after the egg - its seems far too difficult :(

Callum

ps. Congratulations on your clutch Misty, how is Lyra doing?

The tort does all the work. ;)
You just need an incubator, a container to hold the eggs, some form of substrate to keep the eggs still and then let nature take it's course. My incubator is very accurate holding its set temperature. I just add water on occassion to keep the humidity up over 60% which Star eggs need. I have not had any eggs hatch yet. Two were laid on 9/3 but one exploded 2 weeks ago and was not fertile.

Misty in NM

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
ooooh! even i'm excited now!
Keep us updated

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
I'm glad she laid Misty. :) Hopefully they are fertile.

Danny

Status
Not open for further replies.