We're on egg watch!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AWAaviatrix

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Los Lunas, New Mexico
Lyra is finally digging her nest outside in an enclosure. I'll post pictures as soon as I can. Need to get a heat lamp set up over her as it is going to get cool tonight and get that incubator set up. This is sooo cool!

Misty

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Congratulations. Wishing a big clutch.

Chucky

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
S. Oregon
Good luck! It's a great feeling when they start nesting. :)

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
Congratulations! :) That is so exciting. After the action we saw today from our Indians, we may be lucky enough to have eggs too in a couple months!

20080903_0829.jpg
[/img]

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I am so excited for you!!!! Hopefully by now, it's many more eggs. :D

AWAaviatrix

10 Year Member!
Los Lunas, New Mexico
Lyra laid 2 eggs then for the next several hours it seemed like she was trying to lay more. At 11:00pm I checked on her again and she had come out of her trance and moved away from the nest without laying anymore eggs or closing the nest up. I cleaned the mud off her and offered fresh food. She was so exhausted that she just fell asleep in the food dish. I check on her at 4:00am and she was still asleep there. At 7:50am she was up when I walked into the shed. When I changed to fresh food she ate a little and then walked into a hide to sleep.

Egg #1 is 1 1/2" and 18 grams
Egg #2 is 1 3/4" and 22 grams

25inmhj.jpg

zy634x.jpg

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
She's lovely and the pictures are great Misty. We are so happy for you! :D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Misty: I'm so excited for you! I knew that you had a few Sulcatas and some leopards, but to get the stars and have them breed and lay eggs for you so soon...this is wonderful news! I hope both the eggs hatch out beautiful little babies!

Yvonne

AWAaviatrix

10 Year Member!
Los Lunas, New Mexico
emysemys said:
Hi Misty: I'm so excited for you! I knew that you had a few Sulcatas and some leopards, but to get the stars and have them breed and lay eggs for you so soon...this is wonderful news! I hope both the eggs hatch out beautiful little babies!

Yvonne

Thanks Yvonne!

At this time I have 5 Sulcata's 1 Leopard and 7 Star's. I'm amazed Lyra produced eggs so quickly. I bought her and Orion when they were 4.5" a year and a half ago. She is now just under 7" and 880 grams as of 8/10/08.

Attaching egg picture and one of the rest of the Star's.

Misty

fxchep.jpg

71tc84.jpg

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
You have a very beautiful group Misty! I am very much looking forward to baby pictures. :D

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Great news and great pictures Misty :D Hopefully they are both fertile.

Danny

starkid

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
wow this is awesome!
My new star torts are kept indoors so is will they lay eggs in grass hay or normal grass if i bring it in?
Please excuse my stupidity.
LOL

My rockstars rule! I love Pixie and Joey

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
starkid said:
wow this is awesome!
My new star torts are kept indoors so is will they lay eggs in grass hay or normal grass if i bring it in?
Please excuse my stupidity.
LOL

My rockstars rule! I love Pixie and Joey

Stars like most torts (and turtles in general) dig a nest in the soil and lay eggs there. To breed indoors, you'll need a nest box with a depth of soil.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Starkid, as you have identified your stars are still fairly young, breeding is something that will not happen for some time yet. Perfecting their care and diet and just enjoying them while they are young and at each subsequent stage will give you a great foundation to build upon for the day they are adults and begin to breed. By that time you will better know what makes them happy regarding microclimates in your area or what is the best diet for them, how to provide them exercise and all the things needed to raise a healthy happy Star. Looking too far into the future could make you miss the wonderful, Magical events that are happening right now, right before your eyes if you watch for them.
Please don’t get me wrong I am not saying don’t think about the future or research them breeding. I just noted in several of your other posts you have mentioned them breeding and what it takes. Enjoy them for who and what they are now. Breeding will come with time and is something that should and can not really be rushed.

AWAaviatrix

10 Year Member!
Los Lunas, New Mexico
Crazy1 said:
Misty any update on those eggs? Fertile perhaps? Fingers crossed.

It's been 3 weeks. Looks like they have chalked but no real specific banding. You can see the darker yolk when candled but I don't see any developement yet.

Misty in NM

AWAaviatrix

10 Year Member!
Los Lunas, New Mexico
Crazy1 said:
Misty any update on those eggs? Fertile perhaps? Fingers crossed.

Bad news. Just checked on the eggs and lost #2 last night. It cracked open and leaked yolk all over. I opened it up and it was not fertile. I don't have much hope for #1 now.

On another note Lyra started nesting again yesterday evening in the table. She peed and "excavated" for hours but stopped when I changed out the water in their dishes before bed. She marched over and drank the entire small dish, paced awhile and went into a hide to sleep. Hopefully she is getting ready to lay more and can do it inside in the table.

Misty in NM

Status
Not open for further replies.