We're moving... Where should I put my new enclosure for Wally?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Annaliisas

5 Year Member
I knew we would be moving in the future, so I never got really serious about a permanent enclosure for Wally, other than making the one he had at our house here a little bigger. I want to be able to see him from at least one window. That makes me happy. And I want it to be in a safe spot, where critters won't get to him. Ok, so a description of property... It is 1.15 acres plenty of room for all my animals. Completely fenced in, by chain link in most places, with a gate entrance. Good for the dog. Now this house really needs some elbow grease, the lease for horses is up. There have been no horses on the property in over two years so I would have to re apply for that permit. Which I won't be cuz I don't want horses. I want goats and chickens, to make and sell goat cheese, milk and eggs. So the pole barn (pictures to follow) is eventually for that.

image-3766207704.png

Here is the pole barn and LOTS of space..I'm thinking big weekend family camp outs! Can't see this space from any window.

image-1262945030.png

This is the front of the property by pole barn... Too close to the road, but the road is a dead end and there are only 6 houses on it anyway. Most people on this dirt road have huge gardens, small critters, and horses.

image-3509178373.png

This is the way by the outbuilding to the back door where my husband will have his workshop. It used to be the work hands quarters and tack room. I like this spot the best, as I can see it from kitchen window and its close to the house but not too close. I would just wall in and landscape this entire section. Wally is very social and comes out when we are outside. But even if his isn't out, the landscaping would be a nice view. Also there is a drip system in this area, to continually feed fresh water into his birdbath soaking tub.

image-34727500.png

This is an incomplete picture of the front part of the back yard. There is another patio here and a lot of space, but there is a really great fire pit already there, although it can be moved. But if we keep a firepit on this side at all, I don't want the ruckus from teenagers or us hanging out by fire to disturb him. But it can be moved as I said. There is a fence along front of house and another fence as I said around property. There is also a pool with no fence around it... But still a great spot to put an enclosure if it was at the far end of the property, but I wouldn't be able to see him.

image-3224643131.png

Which abuts to the previous picture. So as I said, I have teenagers and this is a place where they will hang out. Don't want to stress him out.

Any thoughts? I love this place! My husband and I have renovated 3 properties as we have lived in them in the last 15 years. This is a short sale and a SMOKING DEAL! But it needs a LOT OF work. Four packrat nest that i have counted so far. I hate those little devils! I don't bother showing you the house, it's just a slump block ranch. The land is what we wanted. We have the sweat to put into it. I guess you all know where I really want his enclosure, he he, but I want want possible negatives to my plan that I don't see.

Q'sTortie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Tampa, Florida
Annaliisas said:
View attachment 29622

This is the way by the outbuilding to the back door where my husband will have his workshop. It used to be the work hands quarters and tack room. I like this spot the best, as I can see it from kitchen window and its close to the house but not too close. I would just wall in and landscape this entire section. Wally is very social and comes out when we are outside. But even if his isn't out, the landscaping would be a nice view. Also there is a drip system in this area, to continually feed fresh water into his birdbath soaking tub.

I like this spot also since you said you can view it from your house. I personally love to be able to just look out the window to see my torts instead of taking a hike out back to get to it. That way you can easily monitor him.

Annaliisas

5 Year Member
Q'sTortie said:
I like this spot also since you said you can view it from your house. I personally love to be able to just look out the window to see my torts instead of taking a hike out back to get to it. That way you can easily monitor him.

Lol! Thank you for agreeing with me. My fave spot. Just family as traffic walking by. I obviously need landscaping for shade, but if he digs.. He can't go anywhere.

wellington said:
Looks great. I like that you can look out from within the house to see them too.

Thank you, I have to figure out a place for my water turtles too. They leave the pond via a zero edge and walk around. They can go pretty far. So I am looking at a water feature in the distance.... Waterfall, pond, then a kind of winding creek to a pool.. Plus, return piping. I have a lot of gold fish schools of different ages. From 1/2" long to 8" long. They keep breeding and turtles don't eat them since, I assume, "we are family" . I love to see them in the morning, but there are so many, I give fish away.

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
So much potential! I just cant even focus, I look at those pics and I am planning out my own enclosures lol.

DanieltheAnvil

5 Year Member
Bradenton, Florida
I love the 3rd pic. that spot seems great because you will get shade from each rooftop at different times of the day. also you can see him from the house the pool or that second building. If there is enough room I'd definitely vote for that spot.

Annaliisas

5 Year Member
DanieltheAnvil said:
I love the 3rd pic. that spot seems great because you will get shade from each rooftop at different times of the day. also you can see him from the house the pool or that second building. If there is enough room I'd definitely vote for that spot.

Yeas I love the third picture too. It's in between the house and what used to be ranch hands quarters and tack room, but will now be my husbands workshop/man area. The only drawback I see is this will be our main entry into the house. With the teenagers, and tweenagers, that's a lot of traffic. I can see him from kitchen and rear patio. We saw this property and while it needs A LOT of work, the lifestyle that the kids can have for the rest of their time at home will be a lot more fun than living in a development of concrete. It's a short sale, so we don't know when we will be able to get in there, but I will post progress as it comes.

DanieltheAnvil

5 Year Member
Bradenton, Florida
I dont think you can go wrong with any spot. High traffic area could be a concern, and only you will really know if it works. I think though unless its clogs the traffic the torts wont mind if they have good hides. Thanks for posting though i'm excited to hear when you get the house and what your choose.

Annaliisas

5 Year Member
He's pretty social. But I'meaning towards second picture as well. It's close to out building and I don't have to run electricity for pig blanket, etc.

Annaliisas said:
He's pretty social. But I'meaning towards second picture as well. It's close to out building and I don't have to run electricity for pig blanket, etc.

Third picture lol

Status
Not open for further replies.