Well, Well, Well, Guess who's eating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roxie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central FL
I am beyond thrilled to report that Roxanne has made a complete turnaround! I don't want to get my hopes too high yet, but I really thought I was going to lose her. Last night was her first night overnight in the new enclosure. It's 6x6 facing east with hidey spots, a water area, healthy plants, and a little house. It has a large mesh lid to keep unwanted critters out.

Yesterday she ate a bit of mushroom and a bite of ham (just trying anything). This morning I checked on her first thing and she was hanging out by the mushrooms again and had chomped a fair bit. I gave her some calcium supplemented ground turkey this evening on a whim and she readily ate about a tablespoonful. YAY! How much do your box turtles eat in a day? I'm afraid to leave food in her enclosure because we have some funky ants around...red ants, fire ants, and really big ones that come out at night.

Her eyes are clear, but sometimes runny with clear fluid. Should I try to get some ointment for her or let them be?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
If you are worried about ants and leaving food out, you could always moat the food bowl( put into a bigger water filled bowl) and good news on hearing about her eating.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I leave the food out for 20 min. Most of them come running when they see me with the food, but no matter who eats, or not, I take in away after the 20 min. Within a 1/2 hr. the dish would be covered with ants, and birds too.
I always have this on hand, just incase. It really helps...the best I've tried.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00027DA94/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

Roxie

5 Year Member
Central FL
I sort of moated the food today. I fed her in a shallow dish that had water and put the food in the water. It wasn't but a little puddle, but it seemed to help. The ants are fast here and seem to spontaneously generate from the food, lol.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Sometimes runny eyes indicate the turtle is too dry.

Roxie

5 Year Member
Central FL
That seems to be the case...dry eyes...When she's outside and the humidity is high, she is much happier.

Saloli

5 Year Member
middle river
oh if the big ants that come out at night are carpenter or tree ants then i hope you used pressure treated wood if not you in for a big surpprise. they nest in wood and seem to like pine which just happens to be the most common lumber. any way to increase humidity you can put leaf little in the cage maybe 6 inches if she is an eastern of a three toed from a forested area or if an ornate or a three to from a drier area grass that hasn't been exposed to artifical fertilizer or insectacides. I am unaware what kind she is. another thing that coul help is put plastic around the sides to restrict air flow or buy a pump for the pond that has a fountain attachment the splashing will increas humidity. hope that helps oh try earthworms, blueberries or grasshoppers those usually will get most boxers to eat.

Roxie

5 Year Member
Central FL
Thanks...she is a Florida Box Turtle. She's been relocated to an outside enclosure in Central FL, so her temps and humidity are in the natural range. I'm a FL native, so I'm used to the Carpenter Ants and dealing with wood. I just don't want them to harm her at night.

Saloli

5 Year Member
middle river
oh okay. thats cool. yeah the ants are a pain though if you catch a few Carolina Anoles they eat ants though i don't think they would do more than slightly control them. the ants can be a pain i had some in my imperial cherry tree and my mom has a magnolia that they almost killed.

Roxie

5 Year Member
Central FL
She's like a new turtle! I'll take some pcitures and post them. That way I can get some feedback on her enclosure. She is eating mealworms and crickets. She refuses Reptomin, lol. I think I caught her eating some peach yesterday. She can dig around in her enclosure to eat fungi and any bugs she finds. She soaks in her pool and gets rain and humidity and dirt. I think she is very happy. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.