well, was trying to buy two healthy rt but...

Status
Not open for further replies.

william488

5 Year Member
A few days ago, I went down about 90 miles south of me to pick up 2 rt, one male and one female. female is alot bigger then the male. I paid 100 bucks for both of them, and tons of extras, lights, heat lamps, bedding, hides, etc.

Well the male is ok, shell is really rough and has had some damage to it, looks like maybe old dry rot (still kinda new to all of this) and his shell is shaped differently from the female, his shell is wide. he is friendly and loves to be out and doesn't hide when you pick him up, most of the time, loves his little head rubbed. :p

Female is super active, the two males I have (one I was told was a female looks male to me) walked around my livingroom today, (its overcast and cooler outside today so inside we are) they walked around, following each other, and her, for about an hour. The female, has been non stop exploring my livingroom finding every nook and cranny she can find. She has been on the move for 6 hours today.

__________my question and concern below_________________

Now, on to my concern, My female, when I saw her when I picked them up, her shell is in a bad shape, attached below is the photos. They have always kept them inside, never went out except rarely, they did not have and uvb lighting and I was told it is needed. they never gave them cuttle bone, or any calcium supplements either. As you can see in the photo, her shell on the one side is really bad. it has deep crackes, it doesn't smell though, and is slightly soft in a few spots. What is the best way I can try to treat it while I wait for my vet appointment which is in two weeks as the vet I trust with my reptiles is on vacation, and her recommended replacement vet is just too far away unless its life or death or would you consider this a life or death situation immediately? I have given her a few soaks with water, bentadine (sp) mix and some of the crusty stuff has come off, the photos below are from today. I have heard to use silvadene but want to hear from all of you what you suggest before I pick some up. Is there anything I can use in the mean time while I wait for it? etc. any help would be much appreciated. btw,

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). Your pics didn't show up for me and my ipad. However, give the female, actually all of them as much sunshine as possible with shade incase they get too hot. I would also make sure you give them a good diet and a better indoor enclosure then walking around the house. They need to be able to warm up past 85 degrees to properly digest their food. Have water available 24/7 and soak them every day for about a week, as they sound like they were not taken care of properly at all and need to be hydrated. The sunshine should help alot.

william488

5 Year Member
I bought them from some one I didn't know. as for their enclosure, they have a big tank, and the two new ones are seperated from the one I allready had. their temps are basking spot is 90 with tank temp warm side 82 and cool side 72. their bedding is coir fiber lightly moist (top stays somewhat dry and if they dig down, its wet) they have a hide on both sides, and their appitite is good. They gave me those cheap tortoise pellets and I threw them out, I have dandelions, collard, mustard greens, and clovers. I given them some mazuri pellets and some small rose pettles. they are eating the greens with gusto. lol. as for the pictures: sorry I forgot to post them, here they are:

william488

5 Year Member
also forgot to add, I been taking them outside atleast for 30 minutes to an hour, (don't have an enclosure built yet outside, almost done) but its also going into fall here and its going to get cold. So I also have a reptisun 10.0 uvb tube light for their enclosure while inside. Winter gets really cold here, they will be inside mostlikely from mid september to may.

william488

5 Year Member
btw, all three are now seperated from eachother in their own enclosures.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Most likely WC and older. How old? That I couldn't even guess. Maybe someone will have an idea.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi William:

That looks like damage like maybe the tortoise was run over with a car or stepped on. Silvadene cream works pretty good.

william488

5 Year Member
no idea her age, the people I got her from said they have had her for two years but she was just about the same size when they got her.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
looks like she could use some good soakings and weight gain. don't let the two males pester her to death...

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
In addition to the good natural sunlight, UVB, and offering a cuttlebone, I would also sprinkle calcium on their food for at least 2 months, to help them build up more calcium. You can also put boiled egg shells in there - some of the torts I rescued wouldn't touch the cuttlefish bone, but chowed right down on the eggshells.

It looks like the female might have been dropped or bitten by a dog or something. It looks like damage caused by force, rather than neglect (although if the shell is growing unevenly, with soft spots, it will likely need to build up calcium, too).

Patience is key, everything happens slowly in tortoises...

WillTort2

5 Year Member
You might want to lower your light for your basking spot to bring the temperature up to 95 degrees.

Good luck.

william488

5 Year Member
Thanks all, she is doing great, She is in her own enclosure now, and will build another tortoise table within the next two weeks to give her a better inside place then what she got now. She is doing good, that area on her shell is doing good, got all the flaky and "crap" out of the cracks and area on her side. she was very patient with me. and she is eating great. Thanks for the idea about the egg shells, I have been dusting her veggies, and she LOVES dandelion, the flowers, and clovers. she ate a huge hand full of it yesterday, currently she is out of her hide just sitting in her basking spot and ignoring her food, she should head over there to eat in the next hour or so. Ill keep everyone updated as she progresses.

william488

5 Year Member
Re: RE: well, was trying to buy two healthy rt but...

Update: I have been using Silvadene cream and giving her baths. She seems in good health and spirits and eating like a horse. She has gained a few grams since I got her so either she is eating better or not so dehydrated or both. She is really active and loves to bury herself. Someone also recconended bentonite clay to help the healing. Has anyone ever use it? Or recommend it?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using TortForum mobile app

nate.mann

5 Year Member
Glendale, Arizona, USA
im very happy to see your commitment to these tortoises even though you said youre kinda new. good job.

0.1.0 Russian
0.0.1 Leopard
1.0.0 Blue Pit/American Bulldog
Chive On!

Status
Not open for further replies.