Well Known Tortoise "Rescue"

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortoiselady528

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
I know that there are a lot of "rescues" out there that take in torts and don't re-home them. To be quite honest, I'm fine with that if it means less stress for the torts. However, I ventured over to my local Herpetological Society a few months ago to take a look at what they had to offer and here is my story.

I have three Russians, but was looking to add another to my group so I called up my local Herpetological Society and talked to the man on the phone. He told me that he did infact have Russian Tortoises up for adoption, and that I should swing by and take a look.

A few hours later I arrived at the facility which looked to be a house with MANY MANY cages, and stunk to high heaven. As I entered the backyard where the tortoise enclosures were I noticed the pool was green and very uncleanly, basically a mosquito haven. Further more, he had at least thirty Russians and Greeks together in a enclosure that was no bigger than eight feet by three feet.

I went on to look at the tortoises and found one that would suite my colony. Upon telling him that this is the one I would like he said something like, "I'm sorry, I don't sell the females. They are how I make a profit." I set it back down and thought to myself, a rescue.... breeding.... to make a profit....? Then he went on to tell me how he is waiting on a shipment of tortoises to arrive to add to his "collection". Interesting.. no?

As I walked around the backyard and took a tour of the place I noticed that he had some Aldabras (four I think?) in a small space, that they would VERY soon out grow. He also has a group of leopards, redfoots, and many others that he is not willing to adopt out, because I'm sure they help him make a profit.

Upon leaving, I couldn't help but think is this really a rescue, or a hobby and when he breeds too many he can say he is a rescue? Is this really non-profit when you breed to make a profit? Are all the animals that are adopted out really previously surrendered or rescued? Where is my money really going? Can this false advertisment really be legal?

It saddens me that the Herpetological Society fell into the wrong hands, and perhaps I'm jumping to conclusions, but this just doesn't seem right. If the Herpetological Society can't even hold up their promises who are we to turn to if we ever need information or a little help with reporting other animal maltreatment?

If you guys have any similar experiences or would like to add to this please do so. Just wanted to share my disgust of these rescues and some like them to you guys. Granted, I don't think all Herpetological societies are like this.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
It sounds like he is only a rescue for getting in free tortoises and only "adopts out" extra males.
I've seen a few people like this over the years. He I'm sure isn't non-profit and you don't need to be to call yourself a rescue. People think this is the way to make a buck with tortoises. Get them mostly free, keep them cramped, inside and out and feed what ever you can get free from the grocery stores.

Danny

Cam

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Minnesota
It depends on how 'deep' you want to look...but...

If he is the President of your local Herpetological Society, thus kind of the one who runs the show...you might be at a dead end...unless you wan tot find out who the past President is and see if he/she would have any advice.
Although it does not say much for the other supporting society members (but they may or may not know of his 'practices').

If he is the Adoption Chair or something similair then I would encourage you to at least contact the current president to voice your concerns.

I do not know legally but ethically a Rescue should not be making a profit...by design the 'rehoming fees' are meant to keep them afloat in order to provide the care required unti the animal is adopted out.

Some Herp Societies do not even 'charge' for adoptions to members. it is a suggested donation. And some societies will not adopt out to non-members unless the animal has been in their care for a certain extended period of time.

What you witnessed is so sad on so many levels.
It goes against everything a herp society stands for.
I am not sure if the animals were actually in bad enough conditions you would entertain calling the local animal authorities...if you are concerened that they are ill etc.

Sadly nothing will change if nobody says/challenges this person.
The trouble is that these are not puppies (for which the local news would be interested along with most citizens).
And by questioning the current practices the person doing the questioning is usually the one to made look a crazy fool.

I wish you the best...and I am truly sad for your findings.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm afraid you will find this in every aspect of life. There are always those out for the buck. You don't have to worry about him being non-profit. While the Society might have applied for non-profit status, it sounds to me as if this fellow has his own private collection and is using the club to get free animals.

For me, the rescue part of my operation truly is a "rescue" and not a "refuge." The turtles and tortoises that I take in through the rescue are put into quarantine pens. I have lists of people who want to adopt, and my own name is on certain of those lists. If I take in a Russian tortoise, I call the top name on the Russian list and give them to opportunity to adopt this new animal. I keep each animal for at least 2 weeks to be sure it is eating and seems healthy, then I do my best to find it a good home.

I also have my own collection of turtles and tortoises, however, I adhere strictly to the 6 month quarantine rule. So if I get in a tortoise where I have my own name on that list to adopt, say, a Yellowfoot, and my name is at the top of the list, I have to keep that Yellowfoot by itself for 6 months. I don't have the space to do that, so most of the turtles and tortoises I take in through the rescue are adopted out. There are some exceptions...I have a nice female leopard that came to me through my web site from Cinncinatti, and Dudley, the 100lb sulcata was a rescue that I kept because I couldn't find a decent home for him.

The only tortoises that I breed to try to make a little $$ are the Manouria and Yellowfoot tortoises. And none of the original breeding group were rescues. Most of my box turtles were rescues at one time or another, and if I get any 3-toed babies from them I adopt them out for no fee.

When I first started the Cen-Val Chapter of the California Turtle & Tortoise Club here in Central California there were many, many people who wanted the job of Adoption Chairperson. They viewed this as a way to get free turtles and tortoises. But we had strict rules about adoptions and we were able to weed those folks out and ended up with a pretty good adoption system. We didn't "feather the nest" of any of our club members. The animals were given out according to how people were signed up on the lists. We did yard inspections to be sure the animals were going to safe homes, and in that way we were able to see if we were dealing with a "collector" or not.

There are good and bad people in every walk of life, and, sadly, the turtle and tortoise rescue part of life is no different.

Usually clubs and organizations have by-laws that they are supposed to adhere to. Perhaps you should contact a board member of the local herp society and voice your concerns.

Yvonne

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
Its illegal for someone to be a nonprofit rescue and breed on the
same premises.

I would try to call someone about the health of his tortoises. You
can call the Humane Society if someone is mistreating their dog,
why not for this situation?

Make a stink, see if you can get a paper out there even.

tortoiselady528

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arizona
Thanks for your input everyone.
Unfortunatly he is the president, and it does say they are non-profit on their homepage.

It is so unfortunate that this is occuring, I'll see what I can do..

I'll keep you all updated.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
I am trying to think of an agency here in Nebraska that would care if something like this happened here... and failing, sadly. I cannot seem to locate any legal standards for rescues or adoption programs for pets that are not cats or dogs, and unless it is a welfare issue, the local humane society does not have the resources to investigate things like this. Some things just seem to slip through the cracks.

On the other hand, it would be nice to know who we are talking about so potential buyers can be aware of the conditions and hypocrisies. Many forums, etc. have places you can post such observations.

tortoiselady528

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arizona
Still trying to figure out how I should report this, and to whom.

If you would like to know the name of the specific organization please PM me.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Since you had concerns about the overall care and environment these animals are in, have you advised your local animal control/game & parks commission/humane society/ect?

If it is indeed a nonprofit, can't you go to the better business bureau and atleast ask them who governs folks who get the legal statuses?

It might not make you a popular person, but how about letting the other club officers know about your findings? They may actually be in the dark about what this person is doing.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Dear Lady...

Always keep in mind - this is not a 'popularity' contest with anyone.. especially those greedy and self-centered morons that call themselves "keeper's/rescuer's".

We're here for the betterment of the critters!!!

Haven't I demonstrated well enough that I don't care what "those" think?

MAKE YOURSELF HEARD!!!

Terry K

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Redfoot NERD said:
Dear Lady...

Always keep in mind - this is not a 'popularity' contest with anyone.. especially those greedy and self-centered morons that call themselves "keeper's/rescuer's".

We're here for the betterment of the critters!!!

Haven't I demonstrated well enough that I don't care what "those" think?

MAKE YOURSELF HEARD!!!

Terry K

I agree with Terry! If they animals are not in proper homes, then by all means complain. If it were me I would be calling the game and fish, I am sure if you tell them about your findings on the "living conditions" they may be willing to step up and investigate, especially if they might get fine money from this guy. If that doesn't work, try calling another herp society close by, go check out theres and if they are properly caring for there reptiles, then inform them about this other herp society and maybe they can step up and make some calls.

He is just out to make money. We have two herp societies within a 30 min drive of me, and I have gone to them and they took my kids on a tour allowed them to handle the snakes, every animal they had was up for adoption except for the rattlers and the educational animals, or the illegal to have in this state animals. I think the guy you met was out to make a buck and put a herp society name on it to get free animals.
The only way something might get changed is if you make some noise.

tortoiselady528

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arizona
Thank you all for your insite.

I have called the other Herp society located about 2 hours away, and was informed that this is not how the practice should be handled in anyway (of course). They told me there was really nothing they themselves could do (other than report aswell), so I took down a few phone numbers they gave me and am starting to call away.

I'll let you all know how it ends.

Cam

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Minnesota
tortoiselady528 said:
Thank you all for your insite.

I have called the other Herp society located about 2 hours away, and was informed that this is not how the practice should be handled in anyway (of course). They told me there was really nothing they themselves could do (other than report aswell), so I took down a few phone numbers they gave me and am starting to call away.

I'll let you all know how it ends.

That is great!
Amazing how one visit turns into a mission.
Let us know how it goes...I am certain you are not the only one who has seen such a thing, and your expeience will help others.

Status
Not open for further replies.