Welcoming Home Baby Greek LEGO

cjcayetano

Location (City and/or State)
Canada
Hello there,

Today we received our new baby Greek Tortoise "LEGO" home (my lego fanatic son named him). We are new to tortoises and we have been doing a lot of research. I just hope that we provide him with a long healthy and happy life. I was told the enclosure we made for him was a bit huge. I read on this forum that the bigger the better, so i'm not so sure. The temperatures we monitor a lot throughout the day. It's his first day here and we had given him a soak. He's very active, moving around a lot and exploring his new enclosure. He has also been grazing on the plants in his enclosure. He also had a bowl movement. We just hope we're doing everything right..Here are some photos of LEGO on his first day home.

IMG_2301.PNG IMG_2270.JPGIMG_2281.JPG IMG_2290.JPG IMG_2278.JPG IMG_2280.JPG IMG_2284.JPG

kirsty Johnston

5 Year Member
Scotland
Aww he is lovely. I think the enclosure is big but that's good! Gives him lots of room to explore :) plus... He will get bigger!

cjcayetano

Canada
Aww he is lovely. I think the enclosure is big but that's good! Gives him lots of room to explore :) plus... He will get bigger!

Ya i thought it was good too. The breeder i bought him from told me to move him to a smaller enclosure...Should i do that?

kirsty Johnston

5 Year Member
Scotland
Personally I wouldn't. Hatchlings like to explore and he seems really happy exploring in the pics you posted! Out of intrest did the breeder mention why you should have him in a smaller enclosure?

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum to you and LEGO.
Bigger is better is right, their territories in nature are massive, but 3' by 6' for a young Greek would be an absolute minimum.
Glad he's settling in, but don't be surprised if tomorrow he goes into a sulk and won't move or eat anything for a few days.
We don't know why they do this, but often, first day ok, then sulk.
It sometimes takes them a while to settle into a new home.
Do NOT make the enclosure smaller. They appreciate space to wander and explore.
It's his territory now.

cjcayetano

Canada
Personally I wouldn't. Hatchlings like to explore and he seems really happy exploring in the pics you posted! Out of intrest did the breeder mention why you should have him in a smaller enclosure?

She was worried about the temperature and if it gets hot enough. The hot end is around 98 Degrees F. The cool end is 76. And the humidity levels are around 50-60 %. We've been monitoring him and the temps/humidity all day. He seems very active and happy. He's been eating a lot. I was expecting him to be more inactive after having gone through shipping

cjcayetano

Canada
Bigger is better is right, their territories in nature are massive, but 3' by 6' for a young Greek would be an absolute minimum.
Glad he's settling in, but don't be surprised if tomorrow he goes into a sulk and won't move or eat anything for a few days.
It's his territory now.

Hello, thank you for the greetings. I will take both your advice and keep him in this enclosure. Thank you very much!

cjcayetano

Canada
It's his territory now.

Also i will watch out for this the next few days. Are there any other things i should be watching out for while they're getting used to their new home? Anything that would be a concern? thanks! :)