Welcome to the Family - New Burmese Stars

Tes

Location (City and/or State)
The Netherlands
Yes! Hopefully the leaves will soon be long enough to provide shade/hide.

Hmm the spider plant is in a seperate pot and close to the basking spot, perhaps that causes the earth to be dry? It's either that, or I'm slowly drowning my spider plant (might also definitely be an option haha), since the humidity is around 90% in the enclosure.

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
Hello all,

I recently acquired 3 hatchling Burmese Star tortoises from @Markw84, as well as one of his smart enclosures! It was a pleasure doing business with Mark. His closed chamber smart enclosures are extremely well built and very aesthetically pleasing. I can tell he put a lot of work into it, and it was worth every penny. His animals are beautiful and very well started. I would definitely recommend anyone looking to purchase a Burmese Star to contact Mark. He is very knowledgable and answered all of my questions via email and text message for months until I finally had the tortoises in my possession. I know Mark will continue to work with me to answer any further questions for years to come. Thanks again Mark, for the awesome enclosure and incredible animals.

I am creating this thread to not only share these tortoises with all of you, but to also document their grow throughout the years. I would love to hear any and all feedback you guys have regarding improvements and suggestions on my husbandry. I want to be sure these little ones receive the best care possible. Thanks for joining me on this new journey! I can't wait to watch them grow.

#053 (Green)
Hatched - February 11, 2020...Acquired June 2, 2020
Hatch weight - 19.7g
Weight/length as of June 5, 2020 - 77g and 2.75inches
View attachment 296658

#062 (White)
Hatched - February 19, 2020...Acquired June 2, 2020
Hatch weight - 23.7g
Weight/length as of June 5, 2020 - 63g and 2.5in
View attachment 296656

#069 (Red)
Hatched - March 28, 2020...Acquired June 2, 2020
Hatch weight - 19.9g
Weight/length as of June 5, 2020 - 47g and 2.25in
View attachment 296657

View attachment 296659

View attachment 296660

View attachment 296661

View attachment 296662

View attachment 296663

View attachment 296664

View attachment 296665
How are you lil guys doing?

yaycolin

Huntington Beach, CA
How are you lil guys doing?
They are doing great! The coconut oil applied to the shell has definitely helped to keep it hydrated and looking fresh. I also feel like cutting the UV back to only 2 hours 3 times per week has helped to not dry out their shells. I will have updated weights and pictures next week!

yaycolin

Huntington Beach, CA
Updated weights as of 12/16/2020
*GREEN - 113 GRAMS
*RED - 127 GRAMS
*WHITE - 98 GRAMS

I am a little concerned with how slow White and Green are growing. I watch them eat every day, and they poop while soaking them every day, so I know they are both eating. A few gram increase in weight over the course of a month and a half just doesn't seem right. Is it possible they have a parasite? Any thoughts @Markw84 ?

yaycolin

Huntington Beach, CA
Updated weights as of 12/16/2020
*GREEN - 113 GRAMS
*RED - 127 GRAMS
*WHITE - 98 GRAMS

I am a little concerned with how slow White and Green are growing. I watch them eat every day, and they poop while soaking them every day, so I know they are both eating. A few gram increase in weight over the course of a month and a half just doesn't seem right. Is it possible they have a parasite? Any thoughts @Markw84 ?
@Markw84

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Colin,

Although growing slow, I would not be overly concerned. They are at 100g now and appear otherwise very healthy from what you describe. A 4g (4%) weight gain in a month is not terrible, and I sometimes see that this time of year. Even my stars that hatched in the past few months all are growing just a bit slower on average than stars that hatch in spring. I believe it is hard to provide the same types of good nutritious weeds like we find in spring/early summer this time of year and our food choices just aren't the same. I have a hunch that the microbiome of baby star tortoises are pretty much geared towards those nice leafy weeds and it takes time to adjust to our different feeds of winter when fresh weeds are so scarce. I supplement regularly and use @Kapidolo Farms goods liberally this time of year, but it just doesn't seem the same as the great fresh weeds of spring for baby stars.

Keep updating. It seems you are doing a great job with them.

You certainly could have a fecal test done at a vet to be sure.

yaycolin

Huntington Beach, CA
Colin,

Although growing slow, I would not be overly concerned. They are at 100g now and appear otherwise very healthy from what you describe. A 4g (4%) weight gain in a month is not terrible, and I sometimes see that this time of year. Even my stars that hatched in the past few months all are growing just a bit slower on average than stars that hatch in spring. I believe it is hard to provide the same types of good nutritious weeds like we find in spring/early summer this time of year and our food choices just aren't the same. I have a hunch that the microbiome of baby star tortoises are pretty much geared towards those nice leafy weeds and it takes time to adjust to our different feeds of winter when fresh weeds are so scarce. I supplement regularly and use @Kapidolo Farms goods liberally this time of year, but it just doesn't seem the same as the great fresh weeds of spring for baby stars.

Keep updating. It seems you are doing a great job with them.

You certainly could have a fecal test done at a vet to be sure.
Thanks Mark! I will try not to worry so much.. lol

yaycolin

Huntington Beach, CA
Updated Weights:

1/17/2021
*GREEN - 125 GRAMS
*RED - 141 GRAMS
*WHITE - 103 GRAMS

2/15/2021
*GREEN - 130 GRAMS
*RED - 153 GRAMS
*WHITE - 110 GRAMS

3/16/2021
*GREEN - 135 GRAMS
*RED - 160 GRAMS
*WHITE - 115 GRAMS

TaylorTortoise

Abington
Hello all,

I recently acquired 3 hatchling Burmese Star tortoises from @Markw84, as well as one of his smart enclosures! It was a pleasure doing business with Mark. His closed chamber smart enclosures are extremely well built and very aesthetically pleasing. I can tell he put a lot of work into it, and it was worth every penny. His animals are beautiful and very well started. I would definitely recommend anyone looking to purchase a Burmese Star to contact Mark. He is very knowledgable and answered all of my questions via email and text message for months until I finally had the tortoises in my possession. I know Mark will continue to work with me to answer any further questions for years to come. Thanks again Mark, for the awesome enclosure and incredible animals.

I am creating this thread to not only share these tortoises with all of you, but to also document their grow throughout the years. I would love to hear any and all feedback you guys have regarding improvements and suggestions on my husbandry. I want to be sure these little ones receive the best care possible. Thanks for joining me on this new journey! I can't wait to watch them grow.

#053 (Green)
Hatched - February 11, 2020...Acquired June 2, 2020
Hatch weight - 19.7g
Weight/length as of June 5, 2020 - 77g and 2.75inches
View attachment 296658

#062 (White)
Hatched - February 19, 2020...Acquired June 2, 2020
Hatch weight - 23.7g
Weight/length as of June 5, 2020 - 63g and 2.5in
View attachment 296656

#069 (Red)
Hatched - March 28, 2020...Acquired June 2, 2020
Hatch weight - 19.9g
Weight/length as of June 5, 2020 - 47g and 2.25in
View attachment 296657

View attachment 296659

View attachment 296660

View attachment 296661

View attachment 296662

View attachment 296663

View attachment 296664

View attachment 296665
What was the red mushy stuff you are feeding them?