welcome Mikey

Kylee L.

Location (City and/or State)
Jacksonville, FL
It sometimes takes a couple weeks for a new tortoise to settle in and realize he's going to be safe in his new environment. But just double check the temperatures all over the whole enclosure. A tortoise won't eat if he can't get his inner core up to at least 80F degrees.

Another thing to consider: In the wild Russian tortoises dig in and brumate 6 months or more out of the year. Mikey is wild caught and this might be something he's conditioned to do. They stop eating for a couple weeks to clear out their digestive tract prior to brumation. This might be what's happening with Mikey. You're going to have to fool him into thinking it's really still summer - long, hot summer days and warm nights. And cover that window so he can't see or feel the weather and length of the day outside.
you are wonderful!!! I have been checking his enclosure temps at three points, the cool side is between 70-75, the corner is about 73 and the top of his shell at his basking spot is 90- 95. I thought he escaped one day because he was buried so deep in the corner I didnt see him. I have been keeping his lights on at least 14 hours a day too stimulate summer days, I will absolutely cover the window this evening!! I was reading about the length of time they go without eating for hibernation and the time they take to wind down for it so I now he can handle a few days without eating ...I think im just being a paranoid new tort mom...

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
you are wonderful!!! I have been checking his enclosure temps at three points, the cool side is between 70-75, the corner is about 73 and the top of his shell at his basking spot is 90- 95. I thought he escaped one day because he was buried so deep in the corner I didnt see him. I have been keeping his lights on at least 14 hours a day too stimulate summer days, I will absolutely cover the window this evening!! I was reading about the length of time they go without eating for hibernation and the time they take to wind down for it so I now he can handle a few days without eating ...I think im just being a paranoid new tort mom...
No you're being a good tort mom. I'm learning as much as you by reading this thread...so ask all you want.

Miniman8

Wantage UK
Hi mikeysmama,
Welcome to the TFO, & the fascinating world of Russian tort custodianship, we have had lightning ours for about 3 years, he was a rescue & like most had not had a very good life from what we were told, he had at some time had a broken leg which was not fixed & really struggled to get about that much. Since we have had him we have not hibernated him at all & Russians are ok with this as someone else has said you just need to make him believe it is still summer, so keep his light on & his heat up to temperature. Just to make you aware as I have not seen anyone else mention this Russians are the worlds greatest escape artists, you may think you have made his home escape proof you need to think again if he can get his front claws on to the edge he will pull himself up & out, 2 years ago lightning lifted his outside house up from the ground & was awol for 3 1/2 months in our garden, we were convinced he had gone, but he appeared at the end of the summer none the worse for his adventure apart from a lot of dried mud on his shell. I did not recall how old Mikey is Lightning is at least 20 years old possibly 30+, so with your good help he should have a long & happy life.
Tom

Kylee L.

Jacksonville, FL
Hi mikeysmama,
Welcome to the TFO, & the fascinating world of Russian tort custodianship, we have had lightning ours for about 3 years, he was a rescue & like most had not had a very good life from what we were told, he had at some time had a broken leg which was not fixed & really struggled to get about that much. Since we have had him we have not hibernated him at all & Russians are ok with this as someone else has said you just need to make him believe it is still summer, so keep his light on & his heat up to temperature. Just to make you aware as I have not seen anyone else mention this Russians are the worlds greatest escape artists, you may think you have made his home escape proof you need to think again if he can get his front claws on to the edge he will pull himself up & out, 2 years ago lightning lifted his outside house up from the ground & was awol for 3 1/2 months in our garden, we were convinced he had gone, but he appeared at the end of the summer none the worse for his adventure apart from a lot of dried mud on his shell. I did not recall how old Mikey is Lightning is at least 20 years old possibly 30+, so with your good help he should have a long & happy life.
Tom
yes, I habe also read that, I do not wish to hibernate him. I also read about them escaping so I have made sure he can't reach the top of his home, and cannot dig out. I was told he may be about 2 years, he's close to 4" in diameter ... LOL, I would panic if he was too get lost, although I thought he escaped the other day but he was buried in the corner under his log. If he would ever stop sleeping, I may get to know his personality.

Miniman8

Wantage UK
yes, I habe also read that, I do not wish to hibernate him. I also read about them escaping so I have made sure he can't reach the top of his home, and cannot dig out. I was told he may be about 2 years, he's close to 4" in diameter ... LOL, I would panic if he was too get lost, although I thought he escaped the other day but he was buried in the corner under his log. If he would ever stop sleeping, I may get to know his personality.
I used to panic a lot when lightning would just sleep all the time, I’m getting better, but if it’s too cold or too hot he will just chill & even now I know he is ok but I just have to touch his leg to make sure he is still alive, sounds crazy but I think it’s just being a concerned owner, when it gets just right he will come out walk about & eat the weeds in the garden, especially dandelions (his favourite) & then go to his favourite sleeping spot under a large ornamental grass, lightning carries his own onboard tracker so if he wanders away from his normal spot we can find him really easily. Over the last couple of days the weather here in the uk has been quite warm but this means that the nights get very cold last night was only 4 degrees so he came indoors in his travel box & I put him back outside this morning, the same will happen over the next few days as the weather is going to be the same. I look for about 8 degrees as the lowest for him to stay out.
Tom

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Hi mikeysmama,
Tom
Hehehe...yea if there's a way to climb out a Russian will find it. Even if they have to scoot their hide around so they can be a tortoise sandwich. Perfect little escape route...if your backs against the wall climb it!

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
My Saphire is a little more then a 5" adult. He was probably about 5 or more years old when I got him. So he's about 17 or older now. So you probably have a teenage tort...best hopes and prayers.

Kylee L.

Jacksonville, FL
I used to panic a lot when lightning would just sleep all the time, I’m getting better, but if it’s too cold or too hot he will just chill & even now I know he is ok but I just have to touch his leg to make sure he is still alive, sounds crazy but I think it’s just being a concerned owner, when it gets just right he will come out walk about & eat the weeds in the garden, especially dandelions (his favourite) & then go to his favourite sleeping spot under a large ornamental grass, lightning carries his own onboard tracker so if he wanders away from his normal spot we can find him really easily. Over the last couple of days the weather here in the uk has been quite warm but this means that the nights get very cold last night was only 4 degrees so he came indoors in his travel box & I put him back outside this morning, the same will happen over the next few days as the weather is going to be the same. I look for about 8 degrees as the lowest for him to stay out.
Tom
lol, I do the same, I pick him up to make sure hes alive and he opens his eyes like "really?...again?" Or I give him a lite shower when I'm spraying down his enclosure. We've only have him 4 days but we would be devastated if he wasn't ok for some reason. From all the advice ive been getting, irt seems like him sleeping all the time and not eating is normal, Judy the time of year and/or still trying to adjust to a new home. My plan is to build an outdoor space for him next year, I live in the southern part of the US so it's humid and hot most of the time.

Kylee L.

Jacksonville, FL
My Saphire is a little more then a 5" adult. He was probably about 5 or more years old when I got him. So he's about 17 or older now. So you probably have a teenage tort...best hopes and prayers.
oh great, starting off in the most difficult years lol Thank you, I have felt alot better since everyone's help

Viola B

5 Year Member
Idaho Falls, Idaho
This is a wonderful forum with everyone willing to help. The information on this site is up to date and what is best for your tortoise.
Your little one just needs to get use to it's new home. They don't like change very much. Some less then others.
I really enjoy my Russian. She is fascinating! I know you will enjoy your little one.
You are being a good tort mom with asking questions. We all are learning.

Kylee L.

Jacksonville, FL
This is a wonderful forum with everyone willing to help. The information on this site is up to date and what is best for your tortoise.
Your little one just needs to get use to it's new home. They don't like change very much. Some less then others.
I really enjoy my Russian. She is fascinating! I know you will enjoy your little one.
You are being a good tort mom with asking questions. We all are learning.
he is very funny when he's active, I set him on the carpet next to his bath tub and he took off, fastest he's ever moved lol Could low lightning be the cause of him sleeping all the time? His enclosure is L shaped, short side being 2.5 feet × 6 and the long being 2.5 by almost 7 feet, I have a baking bulb and a 13 watt UVB at the long end and a 13 watt UVB at the short end. I keep reading about people using flood lights or non cfl spot lights?

Viola B

5 Year Member
Idaho Falls, Idaho
he is very funny when he's active, I set him on the carpet next to his bath tub and he took off, fastest he's ever moved lol Could low lightning be the cause of him sleeping all the time? His enclosure is L shaped, short side being 2.5 feet × 6 and the long being 2.5 by almost 7 feet, I have a baking bulb and a 13 watt UVB at the long end and a 13 watt UVB at the short end. I keep reading about people using flood lights or non cfl spot lights?
Low lighting can be why he is sleeping. It needs to look like day light everywhere in the enclosure. I have an L shape enclosure. I have a 4ft led daylight on one side for lighting.

Kylee L.

Jacksonville, FL
Low lighting can be why he is sleeping. It needs to look like day light everywhere in the enclosure. I have an L shape enclosure. I have a 4ft led daylight on one side for lighting.
oh wow.... where do you get something like that lol