Welcome home Peanut! Need advice please..

Trojan_48

Location (City and/or State)
SoCal
I purchased my Aldabra Peanut (daughter named him from day 1. Haha) a week ago from a friend. I saw the group prior to purchase and all were alive, well, roaming and eating. I picked peanut as he was the most interactive and active. He is 2yrs old

Once he/she has been hiding a lot and barely moving around his enclosure. He hasn’t eaten anything (I have left prickly pear, hibiscus plant is in his enclosure, a couple grapes and carrots). I keep it 95-100 and 70% humidity in his hide. It’s been 95 out here in Southern California also.

I’m just wondering if I should be worried? Should I do anything else? I’m everyday I talk to peanut and try to interact with him.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

thank you!

Attachments

• E495F292-D571-4925-BD6D-52647C4D2EC8.jpeg
    E495F292-D571-4925-BD6D-52647C4D2EC8.jpeg
    6 MB · Views: 38
  • 2BBB2A2A-C7DB-488F-9EF8-ECDA1A4B9FEF.jpeg
    2BBB2A2A-C7DB-488F-9EF8-ECDA1A4B9FEF.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 35
  • B560144A-AF34-46F8-9D18-CD3AED11F1A4.jpeg
    B560144A-AF34-46F8-9D18-CD3AED11F1A4.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 35

rmn813

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
Is Peanut housed inside or outside? 95-100 is a good basking temp, but a fairly warm ambient temperature. If he's outside, make sure he's got good hide spots. If inside, I would lower the ambient temperature to about 85. Other than that, just let him settle in. After a few days to a week, you should notice an increase in activity. It can take months for a tortoise to completely adjust to a new environment.

Trojan_48

SoCal
Is Peanut housed inside or outside? 95-100 is a good basking temp, but a fairly warm ambient temperature. If he's outside, make sure he's got good hide spots. If inside, I would lower the ambient temperature to about 85. Other than that, just let him settle in. After a few days to a week, you should notice an increase in activity. It can take months for a tortoise to completely adjust to a new environment.
Thank you. He is outside in an 8x4’ enclosure. There is a pool section and shade section.
I’m just worried if he doesn’t start eating.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Try to find out what Peanut's previous keeper fed him. Sometimes tortoises don't recognize "food" if it's not what they're used to eating.

Trojan_48

SoCal
Try to find out what Peanut's previous keeper fed him. Sometimes tortoises don't recognize "food" if it's not what they're used to eating.
So is my outside enclosure to hot? I thought it’s better to house them outside?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Because they're black, they absorb more heat. They need lots of shade and misters to cool the air in the afternoon.

Trojan_48

SoCal
@Trojan_48 any progress in food interest or activity levels?
Nothing yet... I put a grape by him and I believe he ate it. I started putting Mazuri and fresh greens as that was his previous meal and nothing yet.
It was hot yesterday so I put him in his water which he did drink. He moved out of the pool area and basked for a little. I of course spoke with him and rubbed his neck. Was scared at first but slowly let me do it. He then went back in his humid hide and hasn’t moved...

I did turn off his heat lamp in there as it’s 95 here in SoCal. I do have a constant heat mat in his hide anyway

L

LasTortugasNinja

My tort took two weeks before he started eating reliably. Now he's a veggie bulldozer. Give him time, warm baths, and he'll come around. Reptiles can fast for months if needs be, so I wouldn't be to worried about food. Hydration is the main thing.

rmn813

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
Another good thing to try is Romaine Lettuce. I've gotten some finicky feeders going real well on that. Then I just phase it out slowly.

Trojan_48

SoCal
Another good thing to try is Romaine Lettuce. I've gotten some finicky feeders going real well on that. Then I just phase it out slowly.
Ok I have a few hearts of romaine. I’ll throw one in today. Thank you guys for your follow up and advice!

Trojan_48

SoCal
Not that active yet but romaine heads did work! Mixing with other stuff hopefully to jump start him eating other things

rmn813

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
Not that active yet but romaine heads did work! Mixing with other stuff hopefully to jump start him eating other things
That’s good news! Slowly start to mix other greens in with the romaine. Mix it well otherwise he can pick around it.