Weird shell patterns between siblings

Status
Not open for further replies.

allegraf

10 Year Member!
These both hatched out today from the same clutch. Weird but neat patterns on #1 and off centered blobs on #2. Gotta love the crap shoot on what you get when the eggs hatch! Makes waiting worth it.

Allegra

#1:
IMG_0010.jpg

IMG_0010.jpg

IMG_0013.jpg

#2:
IMG_0005-3.jpg

hlester22

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Kentucky
Beautiful babys. I think number one is trying to be a leopard when it grows up, lol

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Problem is, then you want to keep them all, to see what they turn out looking like when older.

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
Yep. One of the numerous ways in which cherryheads are different. Northerns can have mottled shells when they hatch but they don't look quite like that.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
That first one has some muted colors too, unless they brighten up with age (I have no hatchling experience!). Almost looks like a chocolate head as opposed to cherry head... Amazing carapace patterns, congrats Allegra!

I may be looking for a 3rd if you have any hold backs from last year (I like 'em all to be ~ the same size) - ya, ya, I know, with hatchlings like yours, I doubt it! You may be hearing from me in the future...

allegraf

10 Year Member!
Chris, their colors should brighten with age. They are a rather dull muted color right now. I don't think it will get to be a bright red color though.

The husband made the same comment that "it was trying to be a leopard". Still really neat. There is one more egg from that clutch so it will be interesting to see how that one comes out.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
allegraf said:
Chris, their colors should brighten with age. They are a rather dull muted color right now. I don't think it will get to be a bright red color though.

The husband made the same comment that "it was trying to be a leopard". Still really neat. There is one more egg from that clutch so it will be interesting to see how that one comes out.

Bright red or not, if those carapace patterns stick they'll be amazing - not that they aren't already!!! You and your torts are doing a great job:)

Status
Not open for further replies.