Weird shell growth really worried

Braeden p

Location (City and/or State)
Pottstown PA
So I noticed this today and am worried because of the depth of the groove. PLEASE HELP the last picture the top whit spots are peeling but not bad I posted about the bottom of the shell before and was told everything is fine

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
Ok so with one of mine, the first years growth looked like that. This was a while ago when I was first starting with russian tortoises and didn't know as much. The growth was indented a little more than usual in that exact area and not growing the same on the sides, as above the tail area. I am not sure what caused it, but now I have changed the diet to mostly weeds, flowers, and succulents, (less grocery greens) and they live outdoors for around 9 months. With this change, the growth is perfect. Before, they lived on a diet more heavy on romaine and grocery store greens, and UVB that probably wasn't the best to use. So I assume with Betty there either is an issue with diet or UVB that isn't life threatening, but it will make her shell not grow as perfect. This is just an educated guess.

Braeden p

Pottstown PA
Ok so with one of mine, the first years growth looked like that. This was a while ago when I was first starting with russian tortoises and didn't know as much. The growth was indented a little more than usual in that exact area and not growing the same on the sides, as above the tail area. I am not sure what caused it, but now I have changed the diet to mostly weeds, flowers, and succulents, (less grocery greens) and they live outdoors for around 9 months. With this change, the growth is perfect. Before, they lived on a diet more heavy on romaine and grocery store greens, and UVB that probably wasn't the best to use. So I assume with Betty there either is an issue with diet or UVB that isn't life threatening, but it will make her shell not grow as perfect. This is just an educated guess.
[/QUOTE
I feed her kale daily and mix in different weeds and the bulb I’ve been using for 1 year and when the voltage goes to 130 it turns off then on flashes puts out yellowish light and sound like and old mechanical switch when it flickers.

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
So can the shell rot come back or cause any problems?
Most likely no. It shouldn't, lots of russians come in imported with small old shell rot spots like that and it never causes a problem or becomes one.