Weird poop

kr1ssy47

Location (City and/or State)
Missouri
Hello all,

This is what my box turtle's poop has looked like for the last week. (The water was fresh before he got in it tonight, he just got it dirty). But very weird, unusual poop. Almost seems undigested. Any idea what's causing this? No exotic vets in my area, but I'll drive 2 hours to one if I need to!

Thank you!!

Attachments

• 20210131_224209.jpg
    20210131_224209.jpg
    842.4 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:

ZenHerper

New Jersey
Those are urate crystals. Turtles have a variable type of urinary excretion that lets them remove metabolic by-products even when water supplies in their environment are low.

In captive turtles, it is recommended to improve their hydration status when urates are found. Make sure to soak your turtle (at least once) daily and provide a good supply of clean water in their enclosure (many boxies will soak and swim - this depends a bit on the exact species, so let us know what specific type of turtle you have - or post a clear photo - to get better advice).

Boxies need to eat more fruit and vegetation as they age, so be sure to offer a variety of wet foods.

If your pet is brumating and quiet, make sure temperatures and humidity are correct for winter slow-down.

kr1ssy47

Missouri
It doesn't look anything like my tortoises urates, which are all white. Unless urates of three toed box turtles look different. He has never had urates before, now that I think about it. He soaks himself about every other day and I'll put him in sometimes too if I haven't seen him do it himself and poops in the bowl are normally brown, but now the last 3 or 4 soaks, his poop looks like this instead.
He definitely slows down and doesn't eat as much in the winter, about the only thing he'll willingly eat in the winter is fruit, so he's been eating a lot of mango, berries, apples this winter. Room is kept ~75 degrees with 40% humidity.
I've had him 6 years and never seen him poop like this before.
Thanks so much for your response! I guess I'll try soaking more

ZenHerper

New Jersey
Yeah, his body's just getting rid of some 'gunk'. lol

Since BTs eat foods that have more red pigments in them, their urates and even stool can have a more rusty or even outright red appearance.

As long as he is eating, do continue reminding him to at least soak (they will absorb some water through the vent) and drink.