Weird leg movements

MelissaDawn85

my red foot sometimes when he walks he will take his back leg and put it in and out in and out, does this mean he's itchy?

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK Sheffield
my red foot sometimes when he walks he will take his back leg and put it in and out in and out, does this mean he's itchy?
How big is he and is he definitely a he. Sometime I see one of my gravid females walk swinging the back leg out. A day after laying eggs all is back to normal.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum! :tort:

Sorry to hear about your tort's conditions. I'd suggest a visit to the vet immediately, the sooner the better. "Better be safe than sorry."

Any pics of your tort and his enclosure?:) These may help in giving you advise.:D

Meanwhile, please read the "Beginners Mistakes" Thread.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Your tortoise either has something stuck on his tail or he has to poop. Soak him in warm water for a good half hour, but pay attention to make sure he doesn't flip over on his back in the water.

MelissaDawn85

Thank you thank you thank you! For the warm welcome, I am excited to be a part of your forum!!
I am new to this tortoise world, so I am still learning everything:)
We jus had a vet visit recently and she was very happy with his condition! He was a rescue from a young young young girl....
Can you all tell me a bit about this "hokey Pokeyitis"?
I also couldn't tell you if it's a for sure boy or girl, was jus told it's a he, and he is 3?

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
They were just trying to be funny referring to the Hokey Pokey.

Your tortoise is extremely dehydrated. He's a rainforest tortoise - Geochelone carbonaria or redfooted tortoise, and he's been kept in terribly dry conditions. Please soak this tortoise in warm water for at least a half hour daily for a couple weeks, then you can get by with 15 minute soaks after that. He needs to be set up in a moist and humid environment with lots of plants and moist substrate. Here's some good reading material for you:

Tortoise Library

GingerLove

5 Year Member
Yeah, they were just teasing. :p Sometimes my tortoise just stretches and moves her legs like that, I don't think it's a big deal. A good warm soak is always a good idea though.

MelissaDawn85

This is my enclosure I have built for him, and have 2 sprays that spray every so often on and off!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 40

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Any of the raise areas or ramps should have railings to keep him from falling off and flipping over.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hahaha clearly a BLONDE MOMENT!
I thought it was a for real issue and tried to google and couldn't google it, haha smarty pants, I think I'll like this group a lot! Right up my alley! Lol
Sounds good
Stick around. As far as I can see so far after being here a few months, this site is good for your tortoise! Lucky little digger.

GingerLove

5 Year Member
@MelissaDawn85 , did you get the ramp on Amazon? I'm looking to make one for my tortoise. I'll probably put up a rail of Popsicle sticks or something just because my tort is a little dumb and likes to leap off of high edges. Do they sell larger ramps for bigger turtles/torts?

MelissaDawn85

@MelissaDawn85 , did you get the ramp on Amazon? I'm looking to make one for my tortoise. I'll probably put up a rail of Popsicle sticks or something just because my tort is a little dumb and likes to leap off of high edges. Do they sell larger ramps for bigger turtles/torts?

I actually jus bought it from a local pet store here in town, and it was technically for a swimming turtle to come out of the water, and bask in the sun! I honestly have no idea if they come bigger or not, but for the time being it works for what I need it for:) good luck on your search...
I actually did Amazon it and it's called a floating dock if that helps u