Weird Growth?

KTyne

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Chilliwack, BC
Hi guys!

So I've had my Cherry Head Tortoise for about 3.5 weeks now and she's doing great. :) She eats like a pig, is active, and an awesome little thing.

Well ever since I got her I noticed she has this weird shell growth at the front of her shell near her head. It's like the scutes are bent and form just one bump there?

You can see it in this picture.

Wondering what could have caused that and if it will be something to worry about in the future? Her previous owner said that when she took her to the vet the vet said he thought she was about 1-2 years old. Her shell is larger than my palm now to give you a size reference. :)

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Hi guys!

So I've had my Cherry Head Tortoise for about 3.5 weeks now and she's doing great. :) She eats like a pig, is active, and an awesome little thing.

Well ever since I got her I noticed she has this weird shell growth at the front of her shell near her head. It's like the scutes are bent and form just one bump there?

You can see it in this picture.

Wondering what could have caused that and if it will be something to worry about in the future? Her previous owner said that when she took her to the vet the vet said he thought she was about 1-2 years old. Her shell is larger than my palm now to give you a size reference. :)

How old is the tort? I see a beautiful tort...and remember, each shell is its own unique design....

KTyne

5 Year Member
Chilliwack, BC
Her previous owner took her to the vet when she had her and the vet thought 1-2 years. :)
I think it might just be an odd quirk of her shell but nothing to worry about for sure. Was just wondering if it's just her or if something could have caused it.

Randi

Canada
My Cherry Head had a mark like that in her shell when I got her in July. It has gradually gone away. The vet I went to said it's due to poor nutrition before having her. She had a rough start to her life.

Yours is older then mine and a lot bigger but I wonder if it is a nutrition related thing? Maybe she had a poor diet before you.

KTyne

5 Year Member
Chilliwack, BC
I think she probably did. I mean, her shell growth is fairly good, looks like only the most recent growth is doing a bit of pyramiding.
The girl I got her from had her in a 20 gallon long tank, with like 1/2" of bone dry substrate and there was no sign of food in the tank. So I'm guessing she wasn't being fed right as she also feels much lighter than she should to me.