Weird Growth rate???

Status
Not open for further replies.

abclements

5 Year Member
So Franklin gained almost 10 grams and .2cm in one week... haven't changed feeding habits or anything. Is that ok? I would assume it's fine because he's growing and being awesome, but I'd figure I'd check.

On that note! He's almost 9 months old, 5 months in my care and has grown 1cm total and gained a lot of weight! I'm so happy to see him doing so well! He might be getting a little pudgy though because I use the Tort BMI formula (found on tortoise library) every time I measure and weigh him and he's usually around 1.1 but this time he's up to 1.25. I've attached a picture of him just to show him off a little.

I guess this is more of an update than a question. I just think that this forum can use some happy posts about the torts too :)

Overhead.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Rover15

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
ontario canada
RE: Weird Growth???

Looks good do you have the link to the tort BMI ? I'm curious to try it out for my yellow foot :p he has grown a full inch since he has been in my care was 3" when I got him in december now 4" I just ordered a scale online waiting for it to be delivered. I also have 2 baby box turtles I was told they where from the same clutch but one is .5" longer and quite a bit wider and they are feed the same and housed together so I think a tort BMI would be good for me and them XD

Eloise's mommy

5 Year Member
Utah

Okay I have tried the tort BMI calculation and I can not get it to work?? Can someone walk me through it? I need key strokes for the calculator...if that makes sense.

abclements

5 Year Member

Ok so Franklin (my tort) weights 103.2 grams and is 7.536 cm long (I have calipers that measure down that far) so

BMI = 103.2 / (.191 * (7.536^3)

attached is a picture of what it would look like on a computer calculator

BMI Calc.png

Hope this helps!

You have to set it to scientific first under the options tab before you can access the X^3 button

Michael in MO

5 Year Member

abclements said:
So Franklin gained almost 10 grams and .2cm in one week... haven't changed feeding habits or anything. Is that ok? I would assume it's fine because he's growing and being awesome, but I'd figure I'd check.

On that note! He's almost 9 months old, 5 months in my care and has grown 1cm total and gained a lot of weight! I'm so happy to see him doing so well! He might be getting a little pudgy though because I use the Tort BMI formula (found on tortoise library) every time I measure and weigh him and he's usually around 1.1 but this time he's up to 1.25. I've attached a picture of him just to show him off a little.

GREAT!! only thing I would tac onto here is that redfoot shells seem very porus.. almost like a sponge and a big bump may actually be from a very good soak.. I have box turtles and redfoot torts and since box turtles "fatten up" for hibernation they seem to have a bigger tendency to get pudgy.. my torts seem slim and trim no matter how much they eat..

I guess this is more of an update than a question. I just think that this forum can use some happy posts about the torts too :)

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member

So it would be interesting to weigh before soak and after soak.

Beautiful Redfoot!

abclements

5 Year Member

Watsonpartyof4 said:

Beautiful Redfoot!

Might have to do that tomorrow and post it here. I always weigh before soaking and feeding, but I'm gonna see how much water weight he gains after a 30 minute soak just for experimental purposes :) I'll let you know!

To Michael: I never noticed the porous bumps on his shell but thinking back on it, I don't think they've ever not been there... Is it possible that that's just how his shell grew?

Rover15

5 Year Member
ontario canada
abclements said:
Watsonpartyof4 said:

Beautiful Redfoot!

Might have to do that tomorrow and post it here. I always weigh before soaking and feeding, but I'm gonna see how much water weight he gains after a 30 minute soak just for experimental purposes :) I'll let you know!

To Michael: I never noticed the porous bumps on his shell but thinking back on it, I don't think they've ever not been there... Is it possible that that's just how his shell grew?

my yellow foot has a bump on his front middle shell some one else said it was his spine (or something similar) and would out grow it as it gets older

note the yellow dot, that is the bump
IMG-20130213-00521.jpgIMG-20130213-00521.jpg

abclements

5 Year Member
Good to know! I've always been curious about that bump but never got an answer. Thanks!

Oh and watsonpartyof4 if you get to see this he lost 2 grams during his soak lol

Rover15

5 Year Member
ontario canada
abclements said:
Good to know! I've always been curious about that bump but never got an answer. Thanks!

Oh and watsonpartyof4 if you get to see this he lost 2 grams during his soak lol

Np when I first joined this forum I had hypochondria by proxy I worried so much about my yellow foot getting fat, pyrimding, or anything else I read

Status
Not open for further replies.