Weird growth on tail on butt (pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.

superjet86

10 Year Member!
Hey,

does anyone recognize this? I just noticed this and its like right over his butt. i did soak him in some warm water and he did poop so i know its not blocking him. any suggestions?

see attached photo

Attachments

• IMG_0444.jpg
    IMG_0444.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 218

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
WI
please upload a clearer picture

superjet86

10 Year Member!
IMG_3678.jpg

IMG_3677.jpg
IMG_3676.jpg
IMG_3679.jpg

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
It looks like herpes to me. When a tortoise gets the disease, they can never be housed with another. Do you have him by himself??

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
I googled for it, and couldn't find any pictures. What sort of bedding is he on? Ever been in contact with other torts? Was he housed with any other species at an expo or something? Can you get a real closeup picture?

superjet86

10 Year Member!
no he was never in contact with any other tort. i have had him for about 2 years now and got him as a hatchling.

i cant get any closer pics

superjet86

10 Year Member!
no...the tumor looking thing covering his anus... like i said he still is passing stool but it right there,

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
What kind of bedding is he on? Sand? Maybe his cloaca is irriated by the bedding. Can you post a habitat picture?

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
What's his substrate? Temps? Daily diet?

When did the growths first appear.

superjet86

10 Year Member!
i just noticed them today... but i cant say i look in that area often. would anyone recommend putting a small amount of antibiotic cream? im going to head to pet store to grab a different substrate that wont irritate or dirty him up... maybe some bark for a little bit until it clears up????

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That is the strangest-looking plastron I've ever seen on a leopard. It looks like there's a band placed on the tortoise, front to back, then across from back leg to back leg??? My leopards don't have that "cross" on their plastron.

As for the tumor, I've never seen it before. If it were me, I would take the tortoise to the vet for a biopsy. If it IS herpes, you might lose all your tortoises to it.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
That needs to be seen by a good tortoise vet. Hard to tell over the internet with just a picture in this case.
You could use an antibiotic ointment on it until you can get to a vet.

Danny

M

Maggie Cummings

I don't know about the growths but I do notice there's is no hide in the habitat or rocks to climb on and other stuff to amuse him

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
By chance you need a vet we now have a list on the front page of Tortoise Forum with a lot of vets listed in different areas. Good luck. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.