Weird film on decorations?

TSD

Location (City and/or State)
NAPERVILLE
Tested my water levels, nitrates are non existent. I just did a water change friday (7/2). Water is clear. Just noticed there is a "film" on a lot of the decorations (super noticeable on this drift wood basking platform). Just not sure what it is exactly or if it is something to worry about. It doesn't seem to be present on either of my turtles. The decorations feel "slimy" to the touch.

Capture.PNG
Obligatory turtle picture
20210707_120559.jpg

ZenHerper

New Jersey
Good looking turtle!

Biofilm is a by-product of the buggies that keeps your ammonia, nitrate, and nitrate levels under control.

But it can get out of control and coat everything, encouraging growth of undesirable bacteria. Especially if you have decaying natural decor.

Snails are great biofilm managers, and turtles like to snack on them. Plecos eat it. Shrimp eat it. (Both may disappear as snacks - don't get attached to the grounds crew.)

You can remove and clean decor that can stand a good brush-scrubbing under running water.

Make sure your filtering equipment is strong enough to exchange the volume of water needed for a turtle-sized critter. If you use carbon inserts, change the carbon regularly so that toxins don't leach back out into the tank (carbon chips take up toxins until they are full, then they start exchanging them back out). It is best to keep the same filter bag, so your primary nitrifying bacteria stay, but the carbon has to swap out for fresh every week or so.

If you see solid waste in the tank, net it out to prevent overload of matter that feeds biofilm cultures.

TSD

NAPERVILLE
Good looking turtle!

Biofilm is a by-product of the buggies that keeps your ammonia, nitrate, and nitrate levels under control.

But it can get out of control and coat everything, encouraging growth of undesirable bacteria. Especially if you have decaying natural decor.

Snails are great biofilm managers, and turtles like to snack on them. Plecos eat it. Shrimp eat it. (Both may disappear as snacks - don't get attached to the grounds crew.)

You can remove and clean decor that can stand a good brush-scrubbing under running water.

Make sure your filtering equipment is strong enough to exchange the volume of water needed for a turtle-sized critter. If you use carbon inserts, change the carbon regularly so that toxins don't leach back out into the tank (carbon chips take up toxins until they are full, then they start exchanging them back out). It is best to keep the same filter bag, so your primary nitrifying bacteria stay, but the carbon has to swap out for fresh every week or so.

If you see solid waste in the tank, net it out to prevent overload of matter that feeds biofilm cultures.
I have a 75 gallon tank (filled up to about 8ish inches), so I would guess at most 40gallons of actual water. I have a marineland 360 canister filter which should be good for 100 gallons.

Set up is relatively new. I think I've had the turtles for 2 weeks now (two baby razorback musks). Had the tank set up for a few days longer running prior to introducing the turtles. So I definitely don't think the carbon is already spent (and I did a full water change on 7/2 as I decided to use a sand substrate, removed everything wiped down the tank, washed the sand then put in the tank)

Currently I have no "real" plants, I actually have aquatic plants on order and may take you up on adding snails/shrimp. (quick Q on that I know fish would, but do the snails/shrimp require a bubbler? Guessing probably. Currently just have the filter, no bubbler as turtles breathe air.)

I've heard mixed things as far as putting Plecos in a turtle tank. From they will most certainly get eaten, to their barbs may injure the turtle. I mean, with the size of my turtles now, I am pretty sure they have no concerns of getting eaten by my little guys. Shrimp and snails, the jury is out.

ZenHerper

New Jersey
Snails don't need a bubbler - they have lungs as well and surface breathe.

Shrimp probably do better with added oxygen. Oxygen may actually help with decreasing the biofilm. Oxygen definitely kills algae.

I'm suspecting that if the drift wood is actual wood, that that is the source of the bio-matter-eating cultures. But a cleanup crew of some kind always helps make maintenance easier.

Two days is not long enough to cycle a tank, especially for large residents (with large poops/urine).
Large water changes (>30%) will bork any established nitrifying cultures. It will take a while to normalize that again. The sand should help build that to a balanced level, for sure. Add another helping of culture starter.

As long as the water is clear, and the chemistry is healthful and stable, biofilm is just a minor issue. Scrub down what can be scrubbed. Add a small handful of snails to help clear it up and to scavenge leftover food and excrement.

Try to limit water changes to 25% or less going forward.

TSD

NAPERVILLE
Try to limit water changes to 25% or less going forward.

I intend to. The only reason I did a full change was I wasn't super keen on adding the sand with water already in the tank. (Wish I would have decided on sand in the first place). It was a pain in the rear though. I had to wash that sand SO MUCH before water would run clear into the bucket I was washing it. I used 80lbs of sand. Took 5-6 hours to wash it 10lbs at a time and add it to the tank. I at least had the joy of filling it up and not having the tank look like a muddy puddle as I saw some horror stories online (I also put a strainer filled with river rock in the tank to disperse the water I was pouring in).

ZenHerper

New Jersey
Oh, yeah, that was totally the way to do it (sand is one of those necessary pains in life lol). It was just on the list of factors contributing to an unbalanced environment. Another jigger of nitrifying culture and you're on your way!

You've caught it early at a light level, so no worries.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
being it appears to be on a piece of wood , i would guess it's mold ....... don't think it's harmful and should run it's course ....... i believe it's not uncommon in soft woods ,or wood that has been boiled and put in aquariums ....any fungus treatment will work , i've had it in a pond before , got out as much as i could manually and let it resolve itself , it never re-occurred .....many fungus cures are said not to affect the biological filtration ,but i chose not to risk it ..........

TSD

NAPERVILLE
being it appears to be on a piece of wood , i would guess it's mold ....... don't think it's harmful and should run it's course ....... i believe it's not uncommon in soft woods ,or wood that has been boiled and put in aquariums ....any fungus treatment will work , i've had it in a pond before , got out as much as i could manually and let it resolve itself , it never re-occurred .....many fungus cures are said not to affect the biological filtration ,but i chose not to risk it ..........
I should clarify it is not real wood. its a turtle dock (that looks like a fake tree stump and roots).

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
it's doubtful it's mold then , mold needs a food source .......... wood seems to be a good one .....