Weight of sulcatta eggs

gilamonsterxxl

Location (City and/or State)
Pasadena
What is the average weight of sulcatta eggs?

i have been incubating my sulcatta eggs at about 80-84 degrees for 110 days now.

I’m not sure if my eggs are fertile. I’ve weighed some of the eggs, most of the clutch average about 50 grams.

I’ve never had eggs go so long without hatching.

What is the average weight of eggs just prior to hatching?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What is the average weight of sulcatta eggs?

i have been incubating my sulcatta eggs at about 80-84 degrees for 110 days now.

I’m not sure if my eggs are fertile. I’ve weighed some of the eggs, most of the clutch average about 50 grams.

I’ve never had eggs go so long without hatching.

What is the average weight of eggs just prior to hatching?
Your temperature is much too low. Get it up to 88-89. Have you candled the eggs? 84 is the minimum temp for sulcata eggs, so if you've had it as low as 80, incubation time would certainly be longer than the usual 90ish days, if they are still viable.

I've never weighed the eggs. Only the hatchlings. Mine are typically between 35 and 40 grams, which is heavier than other ones from other breeders who use different methods.

Check this out:

gilamonsterxxl

Pasadena
Your temperature is much too low. Get it up to 88-89. Have you candled the eggs? 84 is the minimum temp for sulcata eggs, so if you've had it as low as 80, incubation time would certainly be longer than the usual 90ish days, if they are still viable.

I've never weighed the eggs. Only the hatchlings. Mine are typically between 35 and 40 grams, which is heavier than other ones from other breeders who use different methods.

Check this out:
I have never had a problem with the temperatures I mentioned. I’ll raise the temperature because I’ve got other clutches going as well.

I have never been good at candelling tortoise eggs. Lizards, geckos, snakes...not a problem.

What is the best way to candle tortoise eggs?

Thanks

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have never had a problem with the temperatures I mentioned. I’ll raise the temperature because I’ve got other clutches going as well.

I have never been good at candelling tortoise eggs. Lizards, geckos, snakes...not a problem.

What is the best way to candle tortoise eggs?

Thanks
You've had sulcata eggs hatch at 80 degrees? How long did it take?

To candle, I just hold a light up to the egg and move it around until the contents are illuminated well. You can see the developing embryo and also blood vessels after about 4 weeks at 88 degrees. Infertile eggs will look clear or yellowish. Fertile developing eggs will look orange or redish.