Weight of baby Redfoot

Wendy Proulx

Location (City and/or State)
Chesapeake VA
I have a baby Redfoot that is about 9 months old now. He has been doing pretty well until recently. He eats after his soaks every morning and I weigh him weekly. I noticed that he really hasn’t gained weight in about a mouth, hasn’t lost, but just not getting any bigger. He hovers right around 90g. Is this ok? Is he getting sick and I don’t know it? I worry because we will be moving in a few months a and he will have to be in a temporary cage for up to 4 months. I want to make sure he is ok before any additional stresses are added. My tank has stayed the same Since I got him. I got a Cherry Head at the same time and he is growing crazy -tanks and diet are kept the excact same. Thank you.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I have a baby Redfoot that is about 9 months old now. He has been doing pretty well until recently. He eats after his soaks every morning and I weigh him weekly. I noticed that he really hasn’t gained weight in about a mouth, hasn’t lost, but just not getting any bigger. He hovers right around 90g. Is this ok? Is he getting sick and I don’t know it? I worry because we will be moving in a few months a and he will have to be in a temporary cage for up to 4 months. I want to make sure he is ok before any additional stresses are added. My tank has stayed the same Since I got him. I got a Cherry Head at the same time and he is growing crazy -tanks and diet are kept the excact same. Thank you.
Hmm I think they all grow at different rates. I have a hatchling that hatched Xmas Eve that already weighes 90g. I think as long as your Tort is eating and going to the bathroom like normal I wouldn't worry too much.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
If temp and humidity are where they need to be, and he's eating and pooping, then things are probably ok, just different torts being different.

If it continues for another month, you might want to get a poop sampled for parasite load.

I've recently read some studies about papaya seeds as an antiparasitic, and thought about including a small dose as a monthly-ish part of Darwin's diet ... I was treated with them by a curandero while living in Ecuador, and found them effective and less rough on my gut biome than antibiotics.

Sorry to ramble, I'm sure your tort will be fine, fingers crossed on re-establishing weight gain soon.

Jamie

willee638

HK
Good advice from a forum member here, check for parasites. If he hasn't eaten in a while then probably not much to poop, My baby red foot ate normally & pooping when she/he first came home then on subsequent days ate only half, 1/3 & down to 1/4 & remained very dormant for most of February, she/he never completely stopped eating but I had to place food directly in front of her for a tiny nibble & only poop 3 times in 2 weeks. Her weight was similar to yours at first 98g then down to 91g the lightest but after getting some direct natural sunlight in the park from 30 minutes to an hour 3 times per week her weight back up to 100g & appetite returned, I have no idea of the age of my red foot but if yours is under 100g at 8-9 months is on the light side. I've seen another member posted his red foot's growth progress pics as being 300+grams the first year although my tort has no signs of abnormality I believe she's a slow grower.

DJ Kirk

Guelph, Ontario, Canada
At 10 months currently my RF hatchling is at 7.4oz or about 210g
To me that seems normal and at the rate mine is growing it'll be near 300g for the 1st year
Under 100g at 10 months and I'd start to get worried

willee638

HK
At 10 months currently my RF hatchling is at 7.4oz or about 210g
To me that seems normal and at the rate mine is growing it'll be near 300g for the 1st year
Under 100g at 10 months and I'd start to get worried
Yes thank you, yours sounds right at a healthy growing rate. I've seen a post saying theirs is 300+ grams the first year, so I either estimate the actual age of my tort wrong by being 7-8 months when she could only be 5 months old & when does the plastron starts to change colour & becomes easier to identify their age?

DJ Kirk

Guelph, Ontario, Canada
Yes thank you, yours sounds right at a healthy growing rate. I've seen a post saying theirs is 300+ grams the first year, so I either estimate the actual age of my tort wrong by being 7-8 months when she could only be 5 months old & when does the plastron starts to change colour & becomes easier to identify their age?

I'm not sure. Probably depends on a lot of factors.
I know the exact age of mine because I got it from a reputable breeder it's birthdate was May 11, 2019

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I did the math on how steady my yearling has grown. In the 14 months since she's hatched she's gained on average 9 grams a week or about 36 grams a month. I think she's a fast grower but I've also strived to provide optimal conditions too.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Also the plastron on your Redfoot isn't going to change. The color you see is what it's going to be. Cherry head Redfoots are the ones that get darker plastrons.

willee638

HK
I did the math on how steady my yearling has grown. In the 14 months since she's hatched she's gained on average 9 grams a week or about 36 grams a month. I think she's a fast grower but I've also strived to provide optimal conditions too.
Wow, that is certainly fast growing. I don't even get close to 9 grams on my tort the first month, but I did hear torts needs a little time to adjust to a new environment like a month to start a normal routine.