Weight loss worry for Hermann

KirstyGT

Location (City and/or State)
Plymouth
Hi
We have a Hermann tortoise - approx 1 year. We have had George for about 5 weeks.
So we are concerned that he has lost weight. Weighing him weekly he has gone from 90g, 93g, 94g, 94g, 85g. So we are worried and wondering if he is ok.
He lives in Plymouth, Devon. We keep him on a tortoise table, filled with topsoil. He has a combination heat and UV lamp. I have attached some pics. We have made a little outside pen for him and when the sun is shining we pop him out there for an hour or so to have a wander around.
He wakes at about 6.30-7am and goes to bed about 5-6pm. We have the heat lamp on from 7am-5pm. We bathe him everyday in warm water which he seems to like.
We are feeding him Plaintain, dandelion, clover, with a bit of rocket and kale at times. We are still identifying other weeds near us that are suitable. In the pics I am showing you some tort food I brought when we got him. Since reading threads and after seeing how much he liked the weeds I've not given him any (never saw him eat it anyway but shop said best to give it so they are used to it when weeds are lacking) I'm wondering should I start giving him some again? He also has a cuttlefish bone in with him, he seems to like that and we often see him having a nibble. I've brought some calcium powder to sprinkle on once a week too.
He is lively for long periods throughout the day, he walks around, tries to climb, sips his water, nibbles a bit of food ( not lots) eyes seem clear and bright. Should we be worried about the weight loss?
He was in a vivarium at the shop and I wonder should I be worried about the weight loss or is it likely that now he is roaming in the pen (and sometimes front front room when too cold) he is burning more energy than before?
Any advice greatly appreciated - we want to make sure we are doing everything right!
Many thanks

Attachments

• IMG_6370.JPG
    IMG_6370.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_6372.JPG
    IMG_6372.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_6374.JPG
    IMG_6374.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_6375.JPG
    IMG_6375.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_6376.JPG
    IMG_6376.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_6377.JPG
    IMG_6377.JPG
    1,004.1 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_6382.JPG
    IMG_6382.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_6383.JPG
    IMG_6383.JPG
    748.3 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_6386.JPG
    IMG_6386.JPG
    800.4 KB · Views: 17

SweetGreekTorts

Tucson, AZ
Are you weighing at the same time of day each week, and under the same circumstances?

I weigh all my babies on Friday mornings. They all defecate during their soak first, then I'll weigh them before they get breakfast.

If you weigh before or after feeding or a bowel movement, and it's different each time, that will affect results.

KirstyGT

Plymouth
Thanks for your replies. We have been weighing every thursday morning, roughly the same time....though thinking about it when i weighed around week 3 we had an issue with George not opposing for just over a week, when he did that week he weighed the same and now since he's pooped 3 more times and weighs less.....Does that sound like it could make the difference. Is there anything else you think I should be doing for him that I'm not? we are trying to leave him be but paranoid of not doing everything right! Like having a new born again!

Mull112

Burton
Is George still active and acting like himself eating what he was when you got him

SweetGreekTorts

Tucson, AZ
Thanks for your replies. We have been weighing every thursday morning, roughly the same time....though thinking about it when i weighed around week 3 we had an issue with George not opposing for just over a week, when he did that week he weighed the same and now since he's pooped 3 more times and weighs less.....Does that sound like it could make the difference. Is there anything else you think I should be doing for him that I'm not? we are trying to leave him be but paranoid of not doing everything right! Like having a new born again!
I would recommend soaking him good until he poops first. Then weigh him. That's the most accurate weight he will be, without food or feces adding to it. You should notice an increase each week, even if it's only a gram, it's still a gain.

KirstyGT

Plymouth
Is George still active and acting like himself eating what he was when you got him
Yes he seems to be - he doesn't seem to eat loads but I see him eat a few leaves a day - sometimes I'm not sure if its any more as he walks his food everywhere!