weight gain - too much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ukphd

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hello (yet again!)
I seem to be a one-woman question machine at the moment - sorry! :)

The vet that looked at my male yesterday said that his weight gain may have been too fast since hibernation. I know to take what he says with a pinch of salt but I wanted to know whether you guys agreed.

He's basically gained approximately 100g in 4 - 5 weeks. I was so pleased that he'd been eating well after hibernation (and with the drama yesterday!) that I wasn't really worrying about whether he was gaining too much weight post-hibernation. Does this seem too much?

thanks
Nancy :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
ukphd said:
Hello (yet again!)

He's basically gained approximately 100g in 4 - 5 weeks. I was so pleased that he'd been eating well after hibernation that I wasn't really worrying about whether he was gaining too much weight post-hibernation. Does this seem too much?

thanks
Nancy :)

Hi Nancy: Does he seem fat to you? Does he pouch out around his upper legs? More than likely, most of the 100g is water-weight gain. They use up their water during hibernation, then start putting it back when they wake up. If he's eating and acting normal...and if you are not over-feeding him, I wouldn't worry about it.

Yvonne

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
It is water and filling up his digestive system with food thats gained most of that weight Nancy. It's perfectly fine. :D

Danny

ukphd

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thank you both :)
He definitely doesn't seem fat so I'm sure you're right and it's just water and food :) - just good to know that's normal.
thanks again
:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.