Not open for further replies.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
There's a weed called mallow http://www.weedalert.com/weed_pages/wa_common_mallow.htm that has been the bane of my existence! It is VERY prolific, with millions of seeds per plant. The horses don't eat it, and if you allow it to grow in their pasture the plant grows large and has woody stems similar to a tree. It has been darn-near impossible to eradicate from my horse pastures.

So, last year I enlarged the Aldabran pen and added new dirt, mulch and seeds. I've been pretty industrious at pulling the weeds that they won't eat, but I noticed many mallow seedlings coming up along the fence-line. Since I had heard that mallow is a good tortoise food, I decided to leave it alone and see if the tortoises would eat it. This morning as I was going past this area to open their door, I saw that ALL of those mallow seedlings had been eradicated! Not just bitten off at the ground-line, but totally GONE!! At last! a place for my mallow.

Yvonne

Jas2Cats

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I am with you on finally having a way to erradicate (sp?) Mallow from my yard. My Leopards love it. The funny thing is, now, I bought some Mallow plants on-line to plant in my tortoise enclosure because they ate all the "native" ones :D Never thought I'd need to protect a weed like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.